450 The old dog has new tricks My Trex 450 out of my 3D printer

toranarod

As I said in the new members introduction I was just learning to fly a Helicopter after 35 years in RC in fixed wing. I have seen lots of heli guys over the years.
For some strange reason I get the bug now. go figure?
I was always told you need lots of part and spare helicopters to lean to fly. I guess they where of a time before The PC and flight simulators when I got advise like that.

But they where right I have smashed up a few 450 Trex choppers getting a handle on flying one of theses rotary wing machines.

So I could have a good supply of choppers I printed them on my 3D printer and just purchased parts on eBay since the quality of the parts did not mater as I was crashing them faster than the parts could fail. I got a record time. I could construct a new Trex 450 from parts a raw materials in 4 hours back in the sky
same day while the weather was good.

3d_printed.jpg3d_printed2.jpg3d_printed3.jpg3d_printed4.jpg

This is now evolving into other things. I have some nice cosmetic changes to the helicopter I will post.

3d_printed.jpg

3d_printed2.jpg

3d_printed3.jpg

3d_printed4.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Man those are some colorful clones. Cool trick with the FPV gear on the frame. I guess you fly naked with the fpv gear?

Lee

Very cool.
Is there any issue with strength?
The 3D printed parts I have looked at seem very brittle.

toranarod

Very cool.
Is there any issue with strength?
The 3D printed parts I have looked at seem very brittle.

This is a good question and something I am still testing and working on. The materials are industrial grade ABS plastic. The entire process is up to me, I designee and modified all the structure in the Auto Cad before it goes to the printer. I work on a trade off between weight and structural integrity.
The walls of the frame are 3 mm thick and have a 1 mm honey come octagonal internal structure. that makes it around 80% hollow. I have tried many variation on theses figures. Even completely solid.

In flight testing I have tried to break the helicopter with all kinds off violent manoeuvres.
All so I have crashed the chopper but not intentionally. The frame is like the rest of the chopper sometimes it survives unharmed and sometimes not. so far I have found the over construction to be very much up to the job of being a good material for RC helicopter construction.
The trade off is versatility and functionally. I can mix and match parts form any helicopter parts on the market put servos where ever I like any size servo and rotor head. change balance to suit the battery s, I am working on a Trex exoskeleton of the blue thunder chopper.

Lee

Very cool.
I saw on the Tested youtube channel, a 3D printer that introduces a carbon filament to the mix.
Seems to be a huge difference in strength and stiffness. The carbon can be placed in between any layers you like.

Admiral

I had thought of a 3D printer for small accessory parts but never the whole frame, Excellent job.

Lmhawk01

The 3d printing is so awesome , are you going to sell the camara pod on eBay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toranarod

If you want a camera pod i can print you one. to small to worry about cost, free to a good home to other helicopter enthusiast . Just pay postage.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my latest modifications to my Trex. This is a complete photo of parts in the helicopter pictured behind .Note the tail boom surround .
this looks cool on the chopper also hold the servo and protects the boom form bending in small crashes. the boom is only 16 % solid so its weight is not an issue.

MY3dTrex.jpg

MY3dTrex.jpg

amastron

Looks cool, never even thought you could do this in a printer. Mine only does paper so that's out. Is there any reason you haven't done the blades in the printer?

mattbeau

This is really cool. Have you had any problems with vibration. Is it suitable for flybarless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattbeau

Very cool. So when are you going to sell the kits? I have a 450 looking for a project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom