Prop The FF-22 Rebirth

Tony

Staff member
Sometimes you just want a plane that you can toss up in the sky and just fly. When I did the maiden flight on the FF-22, that is exactly what it did. Even when I was doing a climb and lost both ESC's on the EDF's, this plane floated to a great landing. It's because of this, that I'm rebuilding the FF-22.

At this time, I'm getting all of the paper cut out and getting ready to tape it all together. This part alone takes forever, but it's because of the great design of this plane that there are so many pages to this. Thankfully, I only have to cut it out once lol. Then, I can make cardboard templates and use those to rebuild.

Here is my question to you guys. What motor do you think I should go with? According to the plans, the Super Mega Jet will push this plane to 80+mph with a 6x4 prop. That is smokin' for a foam plane lol. The only downside to this is the motor/ESC combo is $60 plus the prop. I know I'm not going to put the EDF's back in it as they were just too much for the little 2200mah battery. So I'm really thinking about just doing the prop jet motor.

What are your thoughts?

Tony

Staff member
Why a 70a ESC? That motor only draws 38.1 amps at 12.6 volts, 43.24a at 11.1 volts? and don't say cause you are running a 4s lmao. That would be even lower... Just wondering.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
is there a software app somewhere that you can plug - in your values for props, blades, fan dia., esc rating, batt rating etc., that helps to plan out your electronics? if I remember correctly, there was magic smoke from the last F-22 from too much current for that esc Tony?

speaking of esc's. the only info I could find on programming them for a heli such as an Align 450 is for HK clones.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Tony, I think you should use the SuperSonic Combo from Grayson Hobby. I use it on my Bixler and it is super fast!!

Tony

Staff member
is there a software app somewhere that you can plug - in your values for props, blades, fan dia., esc rating, batt rating etc., that helps to plan out your electronics? if I remember correctly, there was magic smoke from the last F-22 from too much current for that esc Tony?

speaking of esc's. the only info I could find on programming them for a heli such as an Align 450 is for HK clones.

I don't know of an app. I just go based on what others have posted in the reviews as to the thrust of the motor/prop combo, or the thrust of the EDF. And yes, I smoked two ESC's on the maiden flight, but that was caused by lack of airflow over them, and having them close together.

Tony, I think you should use the SuperSonic Combo from Grayson Hobby. I use it on my Bixler and it is super fast!!

Isn't that motor like twice as heavy as the super mega jet? Just wondering?

Top Bottom