The Faa Is Killing Our Hobby!!!

Tony

Staff member
I have stayed away from this for far too long. Call it denial, call it seclusion, call it whatever you want, I simply didn't want to be a part of it. But I feel I have a duty to our members to inform them (in the States) of what is going on with our hobby.

When I started this hobby, you had to know how to fly, or you had to have the willingness to learn how to fly. Obviously with that statement, none of this applies to ground pounders. If you didn't know, or were unwilling to learn how to fly, then you kicked rocks down the road because that is the only option you had. We didn't have self leveling flight controllers, we didn't have flybarless controllers and we damn sure didn't have "drones".

That all changed obviously and we are now in an era where ANYONE can pick up a controller and do whatever they want with it. It doesn't matter who you are or what your skill level is, you CAN fly just about anything out there. Why? Because of self leveling technology, GPS technology! And for a very select few, this technology is actually a good thing (more on that in an upcoming video in July).

But where this all goes wrong is with the 1%. The ASSHATS out there that are flying INSIDE malls and buildings with people, those that are flying on PUBLIC roads, those that are flying over sporting events, those that are flying over natural disasters, crime scenes and otherwise controlled areas. And I fully agree, something needs to be done about the 1%

So thanks to them, the US Government feels they could step in and do some good. Yea, because what they are doing is "good" in this day and age... They decided to require everyone that had a "drone" to register with the FAA, the FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION and give your personal information to them. I would have had no problem paying the $5.00 for 3 years that they were wanting. Except for the fact that all of that personal information you just posted on their site, including your physical address and phone number, is PUBLIC INFORMATION!!! So I absolutely refused to sign up for them when they first started this.

Then, the AMA got off of their lazy asses and actually went and did something about it. Because lets face it, the AMA is REACTIVE and not PROACTIVE and imo a complete waste of money. But this is not the post for bitching about the failures of the AMA. But they (the AMA) got this "law" pushed out and we went back to where we were thanks to section 36. I think it was 36 anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

The government, being the crybabies that they are realized they are missing out on a GOLD MINE but they can't do anything because of section 36 which puts us hobbyists off limits. So what do they do? They vote, AND PASS!!!... TO REPEAL SECTION 36!!!!! So no longer are we safe from the government for doing a HOBBY that we love!!!

this part is no longer true because I don't know how to read. Who am I kidding anyway, this is never going to make a difference in this hobby.
That is when the FAA really kicked the hobby in the nuts! Not only were you REQUIRED to register with them in fear of a very large fine and/or jail time, BUT... you now had to register EVERY SINGLE AIRCRAFT AND EVERY ONE OF THEM IS $5.00!!!! Yes, in black and white text it states, on the FAA's site "Registration costs $5 per aircraft and is valid for 3 years."! PER AIRCRAFT!!!

If this is not proof of a MASSIVE MONEY GRAB, then I don't know what is. For people like me, who do videos on multiple models to help out those looking to get into the hobby, this is a HUGE chunk of money that we have to fork out to keep things going. Money that frankly, I don't have.

And this isn't just for "drones", or QUADS as I call them. This is also for airplanes and helicopters as well. Not only does the US Government call quads "drones", but they also call them "UAS" or Unmanned Aerial System. And a UAS is anything that flies, is over 250 grams or .55 lbs and that some asshat can do stupid things with.

So what does this mean for RCH? I will still continue to do videos on how to build, repair, and maintain everything I can get my hands on. But, because I don't have a quarter of a million dollars or the time to spend in federal prison, I will no longer be flying anything over 250 grams in weight. Is this the end of RCH? I sure hope not and I hope the AMA gets off their ass and does something about this. I had some awesome comments on the post I made on YouTube about this that I will be covering in a live stream soon.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the 99% should be punished for the faults of the 1%?

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Holy hell, this brought the zapster out of hiding!!!!! NICE! How you doing bro?

txrcnoob

I'm a libertarian. The government has no right to regulate a hobby in this manner. The do have a right to prosecute those who endanger or steal content such as recording the super bowl with a drone, or flying a quad in a hurricane ravaged area with no intent to aid stranded, injured, or misplaced persons.

RandyDSok

I also believe that they are overstepping their bounds when enacting rules or laws such as this....

The government should never be allowed to place further restrictions upon WE THE PEOPLE without a vote of the PEOPLE. These types of laws should only be allowed if they are voted on by the people themselves.

While I'm at it... The representatives also should not be able to vote themselves a raise. They should never get a raise that exceeds the cost of living increase that is seen elsewhere in the country. Their medical coverage should also be equivalent to what is provided with medicare and medicaid. Their retirement benefits should be what is laid out in the social security benefits tables that the rest of the people get.

Tony

Staff member
Here is a part that has recently affected @D.O.G.

FAA(Federal Asshats of America) said:
§107.29 Daylight operation.
(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during night.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah I notice that. I've came to conclusion that it's to easy to loose my quad at night anyway. It's not worth it. I have bad enough time during the daytime to find my quad no less at night LOL!

Tony

Staff member
And here is the killer to just about everyone that flies FPV. I know I do it alone so that I don't put anyone else in danger... I guess 'someone' needs to be in danger besides myself...

FAA (Federal Asshats of America) said:
§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

murankar

Staff member
This is going to be just like the 2nd amendment issues. No matter what laws they write the 1% will still do what they do. Meanwhile the 99% can't enjoy what we do. I am still going to do what I do. I give two shits at this point. If law enforcement decides to give me crap that's fine too. My oxy 2 is 230grams all up ready to fly. Thanks for playing.

Stambo

Making laws that a large proportion of those they are aimed at will ignore is at the pinnacle of poor governance.
Added to that, is the likelihood that law enforcement don't have the resources or the inclination to enforce them.
Similar things are happening here and the cops that I know basically say don't do anything stupid and we won't have a problem.
At least now they have a bigger stick to bash the idiots with.

pvolcko

Hello Tony (and RC-Help crew!),

Hope all is well!

You were close. Section 336 is what you were looking for. :)

Hobbyists only pay one $5 fee every 3 years. That registration number is shared on all their models. Only part 107 commercial operators pay $5 per model every three years. ... and I see now that you nixed that part from your original post. There are fines associated with flying without registration, even for hobbyists, but unless you were flying unsafely there is very little chance such fines would be levied.

The real kicker hasn't come into effect yet, but it is being worked on: the new law mandates that the FAA, working with stakeholders including the AMA, establish a knowledge test to be given and passed before a person can fly recreationally (such test already exists for part 107 commercial operators). We can probably expect something along the lines of a technician ham radio test, probably easier. My guess is that they will have the first stab at this ready sometime this year (probably in time for Christmas) to be integrated into the registration process.

I don't agree with there being a fee or registration for non-commercial operators, nor a knowledge test in order to be "legal" to fly recreationally. And I certainly have my gripes with the AMA's tactics and effectiveness in lobbying. But sadly, the writing has been on the wall for a while and there simply are not enough hobbyist flyers around to be able to effectively fight against the regulatory onslaught that's underway. Our freedom to fly is expendable in the eyes of the powers that be. We're geeks without a cause, to them. There are a few that come to bat for us, mostly hobbyists, pilots and/or engineering types in the halls of Congress or in prominent enough government positions, but they are far and few between. And sadly the appeal to freedom and avoiding unnecessary, overstepping regulation is an increasingly difficult argument to level and have stick in this progressive era. Regulation is the norm, limiting freedom "for the common good" is the MO, and 100k angry modelers isn't a loud enough constituency when there are mega corps representing trillions in potential revenues, billions in tax revenues, and millions of jobs on the other side of the table.

As for the AMA: they're the only game in town for the representation of our interests with the FAA and Congress. Whatever their faults, lending your voice and support to them is your best chance at mitigating the effects the hobby will feel. I encourage anyone who isn't a member to become one. At the very least, even if you don't want to become a member, get on their government affairs mailing list so you can be notified when there is a need for calls, emails, etc. to help make something happen.

leedude1

Folks been reading these with interest as here in canada MAAC ( your AMA counterpart) has been able to get an exemption, high level excerpts are copied below..

Paul I will have to agree with you when you say all faults aside, your AMA and our MAAC are really the only people able (and for a fee) get to be heard and sit at these tables and represent the hobbyist. Is it in their vested interest from a monetary stand point absolutely. However, without them nothing would be done.

I had mentioned about a year or so ago that a government body, CPTAQ (argricultral protection agency of Quebec) closed down my original flying field (club established for over 25yrs and 10 min drive from my front door) because the club had cut down a few trees and had not followed established protocol in order to do so.. a few members are still trying to wade through the political red tape to get it reopened because they have the means to do so and are assuming the legal fees for representation ... This in itself is a huge undertaking and one that none of the other members would have been able or willing to do from a time and cost perspective. In comparison it is nothing next to the battle on our hobbys end with the FAA etc.

So I know it may cost me an ability test and I need to clearly label my birds and a few other things that I do anyway as a 99% but I also know that things would be unchanged and I simply would not able to fly period without them (MAAC) so, its a pill im willing to swallow.

The 1% will remain and yes all laws have been and always will be built around those individuals and regrettably they dont really care because they are are probably not even aware. They aren't AMA or MAAC members or even a part of club and have no concept of the dangers. Just search first drone flight/crash in You tube .. Eg: this is what it all about.... (outside of me getting dizzy from the video LOL ) just one of thousands that occur. :duck::eek1:

Look cant fill a scuba tank unless I show a PADI card demonstrating that I know what Im doing (only endangering myself) yet I can purchase a machine capable of bringing down a plane with a few hundred people in it if I dont know what Im doing and the basic principles an regulations around its use, and all I need is a keyboard and a credit card. Why not track these purchases and register owners at the outset so if found in the engine of 767 they can track it back to the owner.

Anyway I think we've got off with less stringent restriction here in Canada as a result of their (MAAC) implication. For that alone, Im wiling to pay the fee. Is it perfect? No, but much better than I could have or would have done alone.

My Canuk 2 cents.. Lol:chuncky:

EXEMPTION FROM PART IX OF THE CANADIAN AVIATION REGULATIONS Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after taking into account that the exemption is in the public interest and is not likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security, I hereby exempt Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC), Unit 9, 5100 South Service Road, Burlington, Ontario and their members in good standing from the requirements set out in Part IX of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) as amended from time to time, subject to the following conditions. Part IX of the CARs governs the use of small remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS).

This exemption applies to Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) and their members in good standing that operate remotely piloted aircraft systems weighing between 250 grams and 35 kilograms in accordance with MAAC’s safety guidelines as amended from time to time

Top Bottom