450 The EXI is back together again

murankar

Staff member
Well I just got my new shipment of needed and spare parts today. I replaced the rear tail box due to a bent shaft and EXI does not sell that one part without the assembly. I also got two new flybars, another set of main blades, 2 sets of tail baldes (which fit snug in the grips, could be an issue), 1 set of canopy studs, metal tail servo rod guides (since the replacements only come in metal, and they match in color), 1 set of cf tail fine w/ delta wing and 3 more packs of feathering shafts. I am still waiting for 2 more tail booms to come in.

Since it takes a bit of time to get stuff here I thought I would go a little over board with some of this stuff. Anyhow I replaced the rear tail box, vertical fin and servo rod guides.

One thing that lead to my hard landing 2 weeks ago was my sticks are not producing enough movement at center stick. I am not moving the sticks enough to get the movement I want. I am tempted to lower the exp by about 10% to see if I get what I am used to form my sim. My sim has slightly touchy center points and I can not fix that since I have a real basic flight sim. anyhow will see what happens this weekend.

And if my vids are not to boring I will take more and post as I progress through flight school.

murankar

Staff member
well today's forecast windy and 100% chance of rain. Lets see what tomorrow holds. Charging batteries now so I wont have to wait later if it clears up.

Tony

Staff member
I'm trying to decide if I want to get the brushless conversion for my mcpx, or get a new 450... Sucks not having a heli that can cut your head off hahaha

murankar

Staff member
I am glade I got this heli. Only problem is I can't keep from the surgeries I have to perform. Every time I stop the bleeding it bleeds more. Anyhow I hope that adjusting the expo helps me. I hope to find out this weekend. I also think I should readjust my pitch curve so I have positive pitch for training purposes. Right now I am on Tony's standard setup for pitch curve.

murankar

Staff member
Got some good news and some bad ("maybe if I say the bad news in a good way maybe it wont sound so bad."), the bad first no video today because all I was doing was playing with some settings. Now for the good, Got this thing into a hoover somewhat. I was up and down a lot but managed to keep the heli under better control. I did lower the expo to 20% and I am starting to get the same feeling I have when on the sim. I almost forgot what this machine sounded like man I missed that sound. Anyhow just a quick update.

P.S. Depending on the weather tomorrow I will have some short clips of my mistakes and nervousness.

Tony

Staff member
Over time, that "up and down" will go away with better collective management. Just takes a little time. Keep it up, can't wait to see the video.

murankar

Staff member
Now that I have control I should progress a little faster. I have t make a mechanical adjustment tomorrow with the tail servo push rod. It needs to be lengthened due to being reassembled. I have a ton of left rudder trim while in rate mode. Anyhow I should have the exacti on tripod to film my practice after the adjustments are made. I also think I will drop the expo another 5% and see how that feels. Today I felt like I had a lot more control but I think I could use more. I am starting to not feel as nervous as day one, cant wait till it goes away.

I ended up getting those hard foam golf balls at the post exchange (PX). I will let you see how that goes, I lost a rubber stopper for one of them tonight.

excited for my first flights tomorrow.

murankar

Staff member
Yesterday the flying went ok felt more confident. Today did not go so well again. I swear the tail rotor shaft on this heli is crap. To make things worse is that you have to buy a whole new tail assembly to get the shaft, unless you own the TT version. Whathadhappened was translation lift got me today while I was trying to land. I do have the training gear on but that still did not absorb enough shock on the tail. Yes I had a tail strike to day and thank god the only thing damaged that I can tell at this point is the tail rotor shaft (bent worse than the last one). So far my luck has been really bad and things like this put me out like two weeks while I wait for parts. Any suggestions for ordering a belt drive tail shaft, align or tarot? I looked for a tarot and align with no luck, maybe the veterans know of some place to look.

Tony

Staff member
If you are talking about the tail boom, you can order just the boom, and not anything else. If hobbypartz is out of them, then get them from HK or even an Align dealer.

murankar

Staff member
no it's the actual tail rotor shaft or rod with gears. The only thing I have found is the tt tube vesion of the shaft. It is the rod the tail pitch mechenism attaches to. I am a tad apset about this since this is the second one I have bent. If I get the exi vesion then I ned to order the entire assembly and align only offers the tt vesion as an individual part. The wind today was not that bad but It caught me off guard. I ended up in translational lift on the negitive side and I hit the gourd a tad hard. From what I could tell; at the moment, is that the main blades are traking fine and the tail is vibrating worse than a washing machine off balance. Then I looked closer and I found the shaft is bent. Either the shaft is weak or I hit harder than I thought. Not sure and would like to try a differnt brand and find out.

Top Bottom