500 The end is near!

trainrider06

Hopefully! After weeks of issues with my Spirit Pro, then servo's drawing too many amps or volts (can't remember which one) maybe just maybe I'll get this thing airborne! So be ready Neil and Smoogie for lots of setup questions! Lol
image.jpg

image.jpg

holtneil

Hi Rodney glad to see its coming along, once you have the HW 100a ESC will be all ready to go , just remember to set up servo freq in the spirit before plugging them in its really important for the tail if you not sure what freq to use go with the lower setting its safer than a high setting

trainrider06

Hi Neil, I get my HW ESC today! Can't wait to get it going!
Oh I did get to go through the setup Wizard on the Spirit, have all settings saved from the setup, the only thing I am changing is the receiver, I'm going to use this AR7700/sat combination instead of the Sats....
image.jpg

image.jpg

Smoggie

I wish i know that you were getting a HW ESC, you could have used the discount code 'RCHELINATION' to get 20% off at Hobbywingdirect.com . i just ordered three ESC's from them; another 160A HV V4 and two 100A HV V3. They are great ESC's the soft start and governor are superb.

Looking forward to the maiden flight video, shouldn't be long now!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's good to here that things finally are going your way Rodney. Hope from here on in things go well for you. :)

trainrider06

I wish i know that you were getting a HW ESC, you could have used the discount code 'RCHELINATION' to get 20% off at Hobbywingdirect.com . i just ordered three ESC's from them; another 160A HV V4 and two 100A HV V3. They are great ESC's the soft start and governor are superb.

Looking forward to the maiden flight video, shouldn't be long now!
Dangit! That woulda been a nice bonus!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rodney thats great news cant wait to see the maiden flight on video

Hopefully soon! Now just got to get time to do it...:(

- - - Updated - - -

That's good to here that things finally are going your way Rodney. Hope from here on in things go well for you. :)

Thanks Ivan, I hope the hitches are done now too! It seemed to be one thing after another once the issue of the Spirit itself was resolved!

trainrider06

Ok wiring question. I have two choices here, my Castle 10a BEC, or this Hobby Wing 10a/25a UBEC to use. Which would be better? Also should tap into the wires of the HW 100a ESC, or solder the wires for the BEC/UBEC directly into the bullets along with the 100a leads??? The UBEC has an included wired in power switch, if using the BEC should I use a switch or a deans plug or something of that sort to connect/disconnect the BEC if used?

Smoggie

I'd just use the one in the Hobbywing ESC. It's actually much higher rated because it's 25A peak vs 10A peak for the Castle (10A is actually plenty for a 500 but more never hurts!). Plus it's simpler and tidier to do it that way.

I'm using the inbuilt Hobbywing 10/25A internal BEC on my Agile 7.2 and it's rock solid so far, so on a 500 it won't even raise a sweat.

Last edited:

Smoggie

Rodney,

I don't know if you have one of the Hobbywing programming boxes? They do make programming a lot easier and quicker and with less room for error so highly recommended if you think you might end up using Hobbywing ESC's on a few helis. But you can do it the old fashioned way with beeps and stick wiggling.

I use the 'gov-store' governor option, it's about the easiest governor to setup I've ever used and performs best too.

trainrider06

Yes sir I have one I got along with the ESC, I learned a while back if there is a program card or something to program it with instead of the Beep Beeep Beeeps and radio it's much easier! :).
I read somewhere about the governor, I think on the official Spirit forum, they were arguing about letting the esc run gov or the Spirit do it or something, I gotta find that link....

holtneil

Hi Rodney I feel if the ESC has a really great Governor use that , Steve said he was may be going to try the spirit governor, on paper it should be really good as the gyro know the demands your putting on it faster than the ESC

trainrider06

Ok I have my heli almost setup on the Spirit program everything was working fine, as far as stick inputs, well I put a new AR7700 receiver on it, and after binding it, my heli is unresponsive to the radio stick inputs! What happened???
When I initialize the heli the Spirit does respond and the swash acts normal leveling the swash and going through its motion.

Smoggie

The AR7700 is a pretty advanced receiver. It has single line PPM or SRXL output. If you are using the single line output (good idea to do so) then you need to plug the wire into the SXRL output on the Rx and select SXRL in the receiver type in the Spirit setup software.

Last edited:

holtneil

Hi Steve to get recovery to work on a DX8 does Rodney just do the mix you set me I have sent him the pics of the mix ,is there any thing else he needs to do

trainrider06

Neil, Steve I just want to thank you so very much for helping me on this Spirit! So far with right off the bat this Spirit doing it's funky thing and loosing its program, getting that solved, then the ESC I had not being enough and kicking the program off when trying to set it up, well it's been a bumpy ride for sure! But you two have been a great help in getting me right on the road to finally getting this thing going correctly. I admit I'm not the brightest bulb in the light socket when it comes to banks bank switching and setting this thing up, but you guys I have confidence will get me going! Thank you!

trainrider06

ok going back through my setup in step 9, I am finding that I am getting different pitch settings from + to - how do I correct this??

Top Bottom