Spektrum The Brand New Spektrum DX9

pvolcko

Can I program it to yell "Look out below!!!" or "Dead stick!" when I hit TH while in IU1 or 2? If so, sold! :)

stokke

Oh, I want one so bad! But I can't help but think, do I really NEED one...? Crap. This hobby is killing me LOL :D

Slobberdog

Marius, Needing is only wanting with justification, justification is happiness and satisfaction.

So the question is, will you be happy and satisfied if you have one, lol course you will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

But having the spare wedge is another thing

xokia

What I love most about the DX9 is the fixed beefy antenna - looks so pro!

Yea I dont like that it looks like ............use your imagination.
That antenna will probably prevent that transmitter from fitting in many helicopter cases.

Tony

Staff member
There is actually a reason for that antenna looking like that. As stated in teh video, it's a diversity antenna, meaning a MUCH less likelyhood of losing signal. I like that feature over most of the others. I also like that unused models will NOT be shown on the menu. The voice commands, not a fan. And I'm not sure I like the wireless buddy box feature, but time will tell if it's reliable.

xokia

There is actually a reason for that antenna looking like that. As stated in teh video, it's a diversity antenna, meaning a MUCH less likelyhood of losing signal. I like that feature over most of the others. I also like that unused models will NOT be shown on the menu. The voice commands, not a fan. And I'm not sure I like the wireless buddy box feature, but time will tell if it's reliable.
Yea I understand why they have it but they could have done a better job designing the antenna. The actual "antenna" portion of a 2.4 Gz radio is less then 2 inches long. You really think they need that much room to mount the antenna's?

I think the features are neat but would be annoyed with my remote talking to me. Maybe its more useful on planes?
It would seem to me not having the unused models showing up in the remote would be a simple firmware update for a DX8. So should that really be considered a feature?

The wireless buddy box seems cool. I have used buddy box before and being wireless I could see how that would be useful.

Tony

Staff member
If you are running telemetry, I could see the voice being useful on a heli. Say the 600N of mine. I have multiple alarms for temp, head speed, voltage and signal. If an alarm goes off, you must look down to see what one it is. But, in all reality, no matter what the alarm, other than high head speed, you need to land immediately anyway.

xokia

If you are running telemetry, I could see the voice being useful on a heli. Say the 600N of mine. I have multiple alarms for temp, head speed, voltage and signal. If an alarm goes off, you must look down to see what one it is. But, in all reality, no matter what the alarm, other than high head speed, you need to land immediately anyway.
I have mine set to just beep, vibrate, or beep and vibrate depending on which alarm I want.
Which the only 2 I care about are main pack voltage and RX pack voltage. But yea I guess I could see talking being useful.
Probably not enough to cause me to upgrade though :) If you lose signal not sure what it would say. Would be nice if you could create your own hahaha I could think of some things.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Yeah, not a fan of the look of the antenna either. Also like being able to move the adjustable one around on the dx7s to get it into the travel bag and whatnot.

Somehow they're listing this at $399 when the DX8 goes for $425 retail. Wonder if the whole line will get a price drop to sync up with the new standard of this DX9? Would make it a difficult choice between this and the DX8.

murankar

Staff member
DX 9 all the way. No thinking needed. Voice commands, wireless buddy box and tons of mixing options.

pvolcko

I'm thinking a lot of people may feel that way and start dumping DX8s on the used market. So still a tough choice. :)

That and I'm still kind of baffled by this going for $399 vs DX8 at $425 ($350 at some places). It's making me think they cut on something with this DX9 to get the pricing like that. Maybe cheapter gimbals, ergos changed with cheaper grip pieces. Cheaper toggle switches. Something, because from the sounds of it this thing has more into it on the transmitter side, wireless buddy box which basically means a dsm rx in it too, multi-lingual voice alerts, 250 model memory (likely a freebie due to the increased memory needed for the voice alert support), possibly a better screen, updated software, and who knows what else... There's just too much good newness in the DX9 to justify the minimal price difference between it and the DX8 (and certainly too much to keep the DX8 priced higher than the 9).

They aren't going to want to shuffle price points on DX7s or DX8 too low to be commensurate with the tech gap to the DX9. Maybe they'll just discontinue the DX8 entirely. Would leave them with DX6i at around $140, DX7s at around $275 (currently $300), and DX9 at $400. Kind of a steep jump between 7s and 9 at that point though. May just keep the 8 around as a lure at the "more reasonable" $350 price point and push retailers to upsell to the 9, maybe drop the extra rx deal in the dx8 and put it in the dx9 to sweeten that pot that much more.

Will be interesting to see what comes of the lineup.

Top Bottom