450 The $60 450 Project

Tony

Staff member
You read that title correctly, I'm going to see if a $60 450 is worth looking into. This helicopter comes with 4 servos, a motor, an ESC, canopy, main and tail blades and only needs a tail gyro, battery and Rx to get in the air. But the question is, will this helicopter surprise me or completely let me down? What do you think?

When I get it in my hands, I will be posting some pictures and of course making a video of it not only coming out of the box, but also what needs to be adjusted or tightened on it and obviously the maiden flight. If it survives that, then I will start doing some upgrades that I think it will need. If it does good out of the box, then I will leave it alone. But lets face it, there are more than likely going to be upgrades lol.

Post up your predictions on this helicopter.

Smoggie

My prediction would be that you have a reasonable chance of getting it to fly with a little tweaking here and there, but I'd not expect it to last long without constant attention and upgrades.

Time will tell.....

Tony

Staff member
That is definitely one thing that is in the back of my head Steve. Having plastic parts, you don't want too much direct sunlight as it will make the parts brittle. What worries me most at this time, is my old HK500GT. The one with the plastic everything. I have a video showing the mixing and washout arms flexing horribly and I'm hoping this one doesn't do the same thing. But if it does, there are a thousand vendors out there to get metal. But as you said, Time will tell...

Tony

Staff member
The $60 450 project is now sitting at my post office!!! I should have the videos shot this week, but man it's going to be hard to edit and render these videos..... This is going to completely suck.

Tony

Staff member
When you order a $60 450 that has all of the electronics except a gyro, you can expect some things to be a little sketchy. However with this helicopter, This thing just flat scares the hell out of me! Below are two pictures. The first picture is of the servo output gear for the aileron servo (right side). This is how it came to me from the factory. No worries though, do some sketchy cleaning and gluing and we are good to go. Yes, I glued the tooth back onto the gear, it's not suggested and I do not suggest anyone actually do this on a helicopter that you plan on flying regularly. I did this so that I can get a true maiden flight with what came with it.

But that "true maiden flight" might not happen after I found what is in the second picture. As you would imagine, for $60 you are going to get plastic parts. But not every part should be plastic, especially the ones that are CRITICAL!!! These threads came out of the mixing and washout arms in the head. Two VERY VITAL pieces to keep this helicopter from KILLING YOU!!! I did not strip them out, they were like this when I received it. I did put a little CA in the hole and stick the screw in it, and it got a bit better, but you can bet this helicopter is going to get a new Align head right after the maiden flight, for which I'm going to be standing very far away from it!

But in reality, for $60, what more did I really expect from China...

image2 (1).JPG image1 (1).JPG

Smoggie

I guess the question "Is this s good heli for a beginner" is already answered;)

I wouldn't give the glued gear very long, nothing really glues nylon in my experience.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, this definitely is NOT a helicopter you can pull out and just use. Pieces are going to need to replaced. More than I initially thought now that I have gotten into the setup. Didn't make it that far lmao.

RandyDSok

Yea, this definitely is NOT a helicopter you can pull out and just use. Pieces are going to need to replaced. More than I initially thought now that I have gotten into the setup. Didn't make it that far lmao.

I knew I should have been all negative and said something pessimistic about this one when you posted about it... at least then someone would have had fun with a "told you so"... LMAO

( like you weren't already aware of the chances being slim to none at being a good buy :) )

skynet

Need help with this one it dont fly same got it , and dont know what to do with it ,XFX 450 DFC 2.4G 6CH 3D Flybarless RC Helicopter Super, its on banggood.com or amizon , the set up cant make it move wright step J20171004_144608.jpg

RandyDSok

Need help with this one it dont fly same got it , and dont know what to do with it ,XFX 450 DFC 2.4G 6CH 3D Flybarless RC Helicopter Super, its on banggood.com or amizon , the set up cant make it move wright step JView attachment 19193

You should start your own thread about whatever you have a problem with instead of hijacking someone else's thread

Tony

Staff member
OH I knew things would be wrong. Just sucks the servo was bad. But I got it mainly for the frame anyway. I destroyed the one I had, and I have align for everything else.

skynet

Dont know how to start my own thread.

Thats the vedio ive ben waching for days now and step J everyway i try it it moves all wrong

Tony

Staff member
You more than likely need to reverse a servo. Put it back to normal, move your collective and find the servo that is not moving correctly and reverse it. Then try J again.

Top Bottom