Other th9x issues while doing DIY upgrades and firmware

murankar

Staff member
I wanted to start a new post in here for any issues people may have with their th9x upgrades. In this post I have the error code from eepe flashing interface. I will next upload a photo of the flashing tool that I have.

Here is the board I bought from E-Bay

USBasp Board

eepe-error-code.jpg

Code:
/usr/local/bin/avrdude -C /usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp  -U flash:w:/home/matt/th9x/er9x-frsky.hex:r 

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Here is my wire layout

attachment.php

This is the usb flashing devise

attachment.php

attachment.php

eepe-error-code.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
What operating system are you using?

Can you show the options so I can see them?

You need to simply run the normal ER9X firmware since you are simply putting in the module with the external aerial.

However that does not explain the error .... if you load the ER9x FrSky .... it will have a different error and you will find that the Tx will have errors come up and some switches will not work.

I am assuming you are going to use a telemetry LCD clamp on /stick on screen?

murankar

Staff member
Yeah, I thought I would be able to use the TX screen. With the module I have it has a plug for the screen, and I was wondering if I could use any screen or is it the one that HK sells? Now I know I can do some soldier work to use the TX screen but that is just not worth the effort.

I am on Fedora Core 18 and I have also used Windows 7 with the same results. As for the settings they are as follows:

AVR8settings.jpg

--------UPSATE IS NOT GOOD ------------------

Well I thought I would give it shot one more time, well it was the last time. While attempting to flash I kept getting that same error. So I figured OK so it's still not working, turned on the radio and what do you know "EEPROM ERROR" on the screen. Well I was going to fly at the fun fly and now I wont be.

Screenshot from 2013-04-30 19:20:43.jpg

AVR8settings.jpg

Westy

LEGEND
Oh you are using AV8_Burn_omat .............try setting on port on the AVR DUDE POTIONS to empty ... see what happens.
What version board are you using? has it ever worked since you put the wiring in?

If you are wanting to use the on board screen you have to actually to the mod internally to the Tx ..... there are a couple of Resistors and tracks to cut and re-route from memory.....

If you are wanting to use the Telemetry on the Module you have purchased (Not sure which Frsky you have got) ....

You need to use something like this.
19969.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

SEt this up as an information hub.... and add what ever sensors you wish..... Fuel Level, Voltage, Temp, Amperage loadings, GPS.... etc

19970.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If you are wanting to do the Actual Telemetry Mod ....

800px-Frsky_telemetry_mod_overview1.jpg

Here is the Link to the how to guide!

- - - Updated - - -

If your.... MOD USED to Work and now Does not????? De Solder al your joints. Cut them down so only 3mm wire is exposed and re solder back into place. I have done heaps of these radios.... but not for a long time now! I really like them .... I might even get a 9Xr and use the Spektrum module for it on my 600.

- - - Updated - - -

Or ....BEST OPTION BY FAR!!!!
you can spend $20.00 and buy a ready made converter ....

9x TelemetrEZ <== Click Link there

ca82461497709fd55003b334ee8c459f.image.150x112.jpg

I know these guys via lots and lots of time on the 9X forums ... and this and thier smartparts boards ... and Totally Awesome!!!

If you want to go all out ....

Here is the full list of mods you can to! even audio responses! it is totally off the wall!!

How to do a full mod on your 9x - 9X Guides

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Ok here is the latest bad news. While I was getting the EEPROM ERROR and that annoying beep when turned on I thought I was done. Then I found something that said to to hold exit while turning on. Then it said resore then switched back to EEPROM ERROR and beeping.

So I figure it was bricked and decided to try one more time then this is the out put I get, BTW i did not change anything prior to this:

Code:
/usr/local/bin/avrdude -C /usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf -p m64 -P usb -c usbasp -F -U flash:w:/home/matt/th9x/th9xRoms/er9x.hex:r 

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000102
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA64 is 1E 96 02
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: current erase-rewrite cycle count is -16777217 (if being tracked)
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "/home/matt/th9x/th9xRoms/er9x.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (65536 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 17.57s

avrdude: 65536 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against /home/matt/th9x/th9xRoms/er9x.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file /home/matt/th9x/th9xRoms/er9x.hex:
avrdude: input file /home/matt/th9x/th9xRoms/er9x.hex contains 65536 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 16.71s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x3a != 0x00
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Now I think it's dead, the screen has nothing on it, no sounds and the hold exit and switch on does not work.

Westy

LEGEND
you need to go to the 9x forum dude .... they are awesome and unbricking bricked units ... it it can be done..... they can do it ... they invented this stuff!!!! Rob is a good guy and Eraz too!!!!

Post the above response in that forum and you will get some speedy help ... they are awlays itching to help guys and gals out!

murankar

Staff member
Right now I am on the open rc forums. I will copy and past the info there over to the 9x project.

Westy

LEGEND
Good Man! you are in good hands! .... they will sort it out for you! don't Despair just yet! - It aint over till the fat lady sings!

- - - Updated - - -

just a questions though ... does you computer see any issues with your USBASP? Driver load fine with no issues showing up in the Device manager?

murankar

Staff member
Well I am in bad spirits at the moment because I was hoping to fly on the 18th of May with Gaba. He is graciously helping me in too many ways that I cant thank him enough for. I am staring at the 9xr and wishing so bad I had the extra cash for it so I can put this behind me and be done with it.

I found something in regards with a fuse brick. The PDF showed output similar to my second output post. I am hoping this is all my issue is now to get the part I need to see if it works.

murankar

Staff member
As far as the driver goes, I did what the tutorials said to do with that. I downloaded the driver and went into device manager, right click and installed manually. Everything on Windows went as planned and expected. As far as linux goes I did not have a driver issue at all, since it was not needed in the os. The biggest issue I had on the linux side is that it would have been beneficial to have been on Ubuntu instead of Fedora Core. Most of the binaries for the burning software (i.e. eepe, companion9x and AVR8-O-MAT) were geared for Debian based systems. This means that The Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint just to name a few all would have worked with those titles without many issues at all.

murankar

Staff member
Here
is an update to my TH9X issues thus far. Good news is I maybe in luck come Thursday though. Apparently there are a bunch of these programmers that are "rogue" in design. The design of this particular USBASP board does not and will not work on the TH9X. I have racked up over 28 posts over at openrcforums &bull; Index page trying to figure out how and why my TH9X bricked (could be recoverable so all is not lost at the moment). Now there are at least three fixes for this issue they are as follows: 1) Buy a new programmer from 9xrprogrammer.com, a rogue board that was modified to work with the TH9X; 2) Unsoldier R8 (8 pronged resistor on the top left) and replace with 4 wire jumpers or 3) Unsoldier the resistor and replace with a resistor that is labeled with 100 instead of the 221.

Currently I have 2 new programmers in the mail now. One is on its way from Hobby King and one is on its way from Bedford Ohio and that one should be here on Thursday with the mail. How can this help me, well I finally got my soldiers to pay up some cash that was owed to me for a going away gift we bought for our Platoon Sergeant, he deployed. With that money and a gift card the wife found in the house while cleaning I had just enough to buy a new th9x which has an issue now. Because of this rouge board I have I now have an EEPROM ERROR. I am currently set with a FLYSKY CT6B that was given to me by Gaba, yes it will be at the field with me on Saturday since it is all set up and ready to go.

Back to the TH9X, Right now I am in the middle of discussing what I would have to do to get it working. So that's where I stand as of right now.

Westy

LEGEND
The Hobby King USBASP's are fine ... I have bought, used and sold heaps of them. ..... the 9x guys will certianly be able to help with the bricked unit .... you may even be able to reflash it with the new USBASP and have not issues ... but I would think the unit will have an issue as the file size will be a mismatch to expected byte size.

let us know how you go!

murankar

Staff member
The one guy that sells the 9xr programmer has bee a big help. He is form the same big city in ohio that I come from, Cleveland Ohio. I found this out after my package info posted to USPS. Anyhow he has been guiding me through the whole process. I attempted to get the guys from there to read this posting but they were not having any part of that. So I had to re-post my images over on there site. ing coming in Once I did that, the help started flowing and I find out that I have a bad USBASP. I thought that was the issue the whole time just didn't think it was a resistor.

murankar

Staff member
Finally I now have a TH9X running ER9X. WOW this is a learning curve for me. I have one night to get this sorted out, lets see how it goes. I do have the sticks calibrated Thanks Westy for the vid on that.

Westy

LEGEND
no worries!

I have some good tutorials on how to set em up too! and there are some templates I left on the 9xforum .... I have not been on there in ages as I have not got a 9x radio anymore!

murankar

Staff member
I just did the quick 8 minute video using eepe. Questions: Where do I adjust sub trims? How do I set tail gain without the P3 knob?

Westy

LEGEND
Part 1
ok ... sub trims are in the limits menu the numbers with 0.0 ..... they are them.

Part 2
you can go into the mixes .... and go down to channel 5 and make you changes there.... you can delete the P3 line and manually assign it on a switch and switch - to set the HH and rate modes ....

Channel 11 in the mixes menu will alter your pitch curves in C4 C5 and C6 (Normal, ID1 & ID2) ... when setting your swash range.

Swash action reversals are done in the Heli swash menu (3 menu I think from memory).....

Last edited:
Top Bottom