Techanical Mechanical Test Field II (TMTFII). Anyone Taken The Test?

Tony

Staff member
I have an appointment tomorrow with AT&T to test for their Premises Technician position, and I have to take the Techanical Mechanical Test Field II (TMTFII) test to qualify. Just wondering if anyone has taken this test before.

I know that you have to know the 25 pair wire bundles pretty well, and that is going ot be a little hard to remember in less than 24 hours, but I'm going to try. My appointment is at 0900 in the morning, so I'm going to be one tired mofo tomorrow.

Let me know if you have taken this test and what it was like. I know it's an entry level position, but unlike the job I have now, there are MANY places to advance in that company.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, i have read that PDF, but it doesn't explain everything. The questions that they have on that sheet are VERY simple and I got all of them correct WITHOUT looking at the answers. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can answer those questions.

The more I read on this position, the more I don't like it. But, you are almost forced to work overtime (which I want, at time and a half) which is more than I have here. I have not worked overtime at my job in over 3 years. Sure could use it, that for sure.

No matter what, I'm going to go take the test in the morning and see how I do. It's a Pass/Fail test, or Qualified/Disqualified, so I will know immediately.

Tony

Staff member
I'm just worried about the 25 pair questions. 50 wires is a LOT to remember... And once that is done, I'm sure there will be other tests. I'm just hoping like hell they say "sign here and your hired" so I can turn my notice in here then take an immediate 3.64 week vacation (that is how much time I have accrued in a year, adn I have taken some days, quite a few actually). Put in for a vacation request, get approved, email my resignation... Yup, sounds like a plan to me... lmao

EyeStation

I was remembering back when I used to wire up stage boxes and the XLR cable wire codes matched the basic resistor color code.
But I see the 25 Pair is set up as the primary color and the secondary color in the pair.
Well there is a way to remember the order,
A mnemonic, Wild Real Blondes Yell Violently (White-Red-Black-Yellow-Violet)
and the second set, Bell Operators Give Better Service, (Blue- Orange- Green-Brown-Slate)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25-pair_color_code

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I found that mnemonic. Hoping it works if they ask about the colors. Every pair has a white wire, so in reality, you only have to remember 25. Then, you can marrow that down to just 5x5 with what you posted. Stressing the hell out over this because I need this job...

EyeStation

Not true about all having a white, Only the first 5 do.
White common for the first 5, Red common for the next 5, Black common for the next 5 Yellow for the next 5 and final 5 all have Violet as the common.
So first Mnemonic is for the primary color and the second Mnemonic is for the paired color in each set.

cml001

Uhhhh.. Good luck bro! Sounds like u have some study'n to do... Get off here and read... Study.. Ull do fine.

Tony

Staff member
yeah right, I'm at work right now. Had to call in tomorrow just so I can make it to the test. There really isn't any studying that can be done on this. The more I read, the more I learn that they work you to death for the first 18 months. I hate to say it, but if I get it, I will not be on here much at all. It will be like when I was driving truck, only on here for about an hour a day to catch up at night, then bed, wake up and off to work. But, it's what I need to do.

cml001

Werd... Gotta do what we must.... Have to do's first.. Then the wanna do's... How life works... Good luck again bud.

Stambo

Yeah like everyone else says, good luck Tony.
You must be about due for some by now. :)

Tony

Staff member
I hope I'm due for some luck. This year is starting off worse than '13. There has to be a bottom somewhere, and I hope I'm at it.

callsign4223

Staff member
Good luck with the test man. In sure it probably is as simple as the PDF makes it out to be. They are only trying to weed out the untrainable.

Tony

Staff member
From what I hear, it's all common sense. My issue is moving up after the fact. If I'm working 14 hours a day, I'm wondering how I will have time to further my career with more certs. But, I will cross that bridge when I get there. Just hope it's not like the bridge connecting Lexington to Purcell. That bridge cost me a possible job with McClain County Sheriff's Department...

Tony

Staff member
Just found out that I have to learn how to dead climb polls. My fat ass + dead climbing 40' polls = not going to friggin happen lmao. I am under their 275lb weight limit though. All this weight that I have gained in teh last 4.5 years I'm going to lose in about 6 months.... I can feel it... If I get the job that is...

cml001

I've seen u in videos... U ain't fat... Big baby maybe.. But not fat... Lol... Just messing w u... Excursive is good for ya bro... It'll keep u young.. Hell u should see me & my crew in the summer at the park... All these kids skate'n round in 95 degree heat wear'n beanie caps and pant/jeans... Ha.. Me and my buds have nut'n on but shorts & shoes.. Drink beer.. Sweaty, grey, hairy, fat old guys.... KICK'N THEIR narrow BUTTS.. Now that's fun!... Funny look'n too! Soooo.. If I can session 4-5 hours 3 days a week and keep my beer belly... Ur skinny self can climb a pole! Positive bro... U can do it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom