Quad Tearing The Goolrc Quad Apart

Tony

Staff member
AND BUILDING THE PURPLE MONSTER :yahoo:

I ordered a frame for the new Stack X F4 board, but the stack was just too high for that frame. I can make it work, and i'm going to make it work, I just need some supplies. So for now, this is what I'm doing.

I was thinking about putting it in my old quad frame which is quite high and 250mm, but I like that quad just the way it is. It's my first built quad after all. So that left the Darkmax and the GoolRC... And OH HELL NO I'm not tearing apart the Darkmax, and that leaves one...

As you can see in the picture below, I have the purple motors installed on the frame, I have the stack secured in the frame and I even have the camera mounted in the frame! And bonus, the lens is very well protected! Oh yea, I'm going 10-8 on this quad!!!!!

But there is a lot of work to do first.... Still need to solder the motors to the ESC, still need to setup the spektrum Rx, still need to go into the program and make sure the motors are spinning the correct direction and reverse them if needed. Once that is done, it's time to test everything, including the HD video recording from the same camera that provides the FPV footage!!! Oh yea, it's game on!

IMG_0823.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Did all of that work for nothing. The quad wants to do nothing but flip in the air even though everything is setup perfectly. I have a feeling the motors are the reason why, they are way friggin out of balance. The stack, the camera, the ESC and the motors are going in the trash. Not recommended.

Tony

Staff member
I ended up sleeping on this little issue and now with a clear head that is not about to explode, I have some ideas.

First thing, this flight controller I'm working on is going to have to be soft mounted. With the chip that it has, it is very sensitive to vibration. So I have to order some soft mounting stand off's and hope like hell that works.

The second issue is the motors. The ones that I received are out of balance. I'm going to order two more since only two were out of balance and again, hope this helps.

I will be breaking out my best prop balancer to balance the props once again. As stated before, the Gemfan 5051 props will not fit a 210 frame, the props hit each other. But, I have some bull nose 5045 props that clear by about 5mm or so. Unfortunately, they are green and do not match the theme of the quad. I will be ordering some different ones soon and hope they fit...

I have yet to test the camera. If it won't fly, then I don't need the camera...

So that is the update as of now. I had a micro switch break off and I had to solder that little sucker back on. That was fun. In doing this, I ended up shoving a little over half of a #11 Xacto blade into my left index finger so yea, that hurt a little... Nothing some shop towels and electrical tape wouldn't take care of. I hate it when I spring a leak...

That is where this frame sits as of now. It's a headache and a half, but I think I can tame this angry beast! We are going to find out.

Oh, and I'm waiting on some more wire so that I can extend the motor leads. If they would have included just 20mm more wire it would have been perfect. Ordered that from here in the states though so it should be here tomorrow.

Top Bottom