500 Tear down question

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hello, I was just wondering how many flights before I need to take apart the DFC and tail assembly? I'm talking about tearing down everything to the bearings. My 500, which I don't fly very often, does have about two dozen flights now since last tear down. I check all the helis after every flight for any movement. The 500 still feels tight. So should I tear her down and give her a major once over or can I fly a few my times? My 450 and X3 get taken apart enough since they happen to be in more crashes then the 500 :bellyroll:. How many flights do you do before a major overhaul to your bird? Thanks :)

Tony

Staff member
They say every 10 flights and check the thrust bearings but I don't follow that logic. Just whenever I feel grit or something starting to bind, then I will take it apart.

Geena

Staff member
I don`t follow the 10 flight rule either. I generally get 10 or more flights in every time I go to the field, so that would mean nightly tear downs for me. I pull the head apart and re-grease the thrust bearings every couple of months, and replace bearings when they start feeling notchy.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you Geena and Tony. I've heard different answers my self. So Geena , your avg. almost 50 flights per month before tear down. Cool, I can get a few more flights out of the 500 then since I can't fly no where near as hard or as good as you do.

Smoggie

I have to admit that i dont check mine very often, maybe once a year or if I start to feel slop or notchiness. So far on larger helis I dont recall needing to change a thrust bearing due to wear, I've just greased them and put them back in and they work as good as new.

Admiral

I used to pull mine apart every couple of weeks, but it had nothing to do with maintenance , since my flying has improved I have one 450 that has not been stripped down for over 12 months it gets checked before every flight and lubed about every 10 flights. I am going to have to pull it down soon as the belt is showing signs of wear and I'll go right over it at that stage.

Top Bottom