Quad TBS Discovery Frame

WyDiablo

I just ordered a new TBS Discovery frame to transfer all of my F450 stuff over to the TBS. So now I hope to have 2 FPV ships one for fast FPV and another for some slow easy FPV. I just need to get myslef another 600W vtx for the TBS.

Karubah

Good choice. I love the Disco. Flies great and easy to put together. Just make sure the pins on the top plate are soldered on the right side of the plate. The ones in the centre of the plate face face down and the ones on the tail face up. They are a bugger to change if you get them the wrong way around..Don't ask me how I know!! :(

wolfman76

Good choice. I love the Disco. Flies great and easy to put together. Just make sure the pins on the top plate are soldered on the right side of the plate. The ones in the centre of the plate face face down and the ones on the tail face up. They are a bugger to change if you get them the wrong way around..Don't ask me how I know!! :(

I know all to well i messed up put on wrong side when i was pouring my tbs quad together right before i sold it... Good times!!!!!

WyDiablo

I just hope I don't have a brain fart while doing the assembly lololo. The pin soldering will be the big pain for me and soldering I really hate to deal with. But I do have a nice pointed soldering tip that's handy for tinny spots like that.

WyDiablo

I have been sitting around today trying to decide on moving the FPV gear to the TBS or just leave it on the 650 quad. My 12"X3.8 props will be here tomorrow and I can try them out and maybe my motors will run a little cooler. But then again they are only a 3.8 pitch so maybe not. I know a couple of guys on another forum that run 12X3.8 on their 650 hexa and their motors are cool to the touch. After flying the 12X3.8 tomorrow I might have to re-solder my esc's to see if that helps.

Tasajara

LOL on the soldering.... Man I love to solder , Guess I do it 3 times a week minimum . I have a Tarot 650 I have got to get busy on.

Friend has the Disco, very nice quad.

WyDiablo

Ok guys I got my TBS Discovery frame yesterday morning and I finished the assembly just now and took this picture. So now to get this thing out for the maiden and a good long FPV test flight. Is there an easier way to balance this little sucker other than on my index finger about where the COG is located?
View attachment 8355

Karubah

I balance mine on a steel ruler. Sit the disco the ruler about 14 mm in font of the the COT and down the centre line for and aft. Have you had a test flight yet?

WyDiablo

No I have not had a test flight yet. I have been playing around with the COG on the TBS and trying to decide if its better to put the battery on top or in the battery tray. I can get a better COG with the battery on top and with it inside the tray I have to push the battery also up the the FC to get correct COG. Using a 3S 5000Mah battery

Stambo

I built a custom tray for my clone. A Perspex strip underneath so I can put the battery wherever I like, depending on how much extra stuff I have on it.
I think having the battery lower should make it a bit more stable.

Last edited:

WyDiablo

Would you happen to have a picture of that attached to your copter? With these 3S 5000Mah batteries its a pain to get the TBS in balance.

Stambo

Here you go.
I will probably take those big skids off soon and put some 500 heli skids on to reduce weight.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

WyDiablo

If I were to put on standard 500 landing gear could I bolt it to the bottom of the plate or will it mess up the circuit layered power distribution board?

Karubah

I used the holes that the spacers go in for my 450 landing legs. I drilled new holes in the landing gear to match and used longer 3 m screws. Works fine for 450 size legs so should be ok to do the same for 500 legs. Sorry I don,t have any pics.

Top Bottom