Quad TBS Discovery frame

WyDiablo

If I more everything from my F450 over to the TBS (No GPS right now) and I use the opto esc's would I need the core? I will also be adding a camera and probably a GPS also. And in you opinion which is better the TBS or QAV?

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I have no experience with the tbs. All I can tell you is that I love my QAV 500. I'm going to build the QAV 540 next!

Karubah

I am using the TBS core and It seems to be going great. Not had it long and still mucking around with it ( they dont like TREES...). The good thing is they make a shield for it, but it's is a bit silvery $19 but from what I can gather its worth it for FPV. I like the TBS frame, very easy to work on and well layed out.

Tony

Staff member
Isn't the core only used for OSD and voltage regulation? I have not done a lot of looking into the TBS, but I know I want one. There is a guy on here that just sold one. Would have loved to have gotten it, but money just wasn't with me at the time. The TBS and QAV are the same design and about the same price, so from what I can see, it's dealers choice. There are differences though as there are with any aircraft variant.

WyDiablo

Yea I was wondering about the vibrations for both the TBS and QAV as to which has the lesser of vibs. Another frame I have been looking at is the Carbon core 650 hexa that is an awesome frame and I think my heavy lift motors would work great on that frame. They are at rc-drones and the price is a little more than what I like to see but that's how it is sometimes. If I moved everything over to the carbon frame I think I would get better flying time and stabilization. This hobby just has way too many choices that drives a man crazy lol.

Tasajara

Your right...The core is an OSD along with having voltage reg for both 12v and 5v cameras and will power the VTX too.
It also has a connection for the RSSI which I like very well. You will always know if you have a good radio signal if you get way out there on a FPV flight.
I bought my Team BlackSheep RF Tin Shield for CORE for $14.95

Oh yeah I found some colored arms if you want to add some style to your multirotor....

COLORIZED! DJI Flamewheel F450 Arm

Last edited:

Lee

If you want the ultimate in Quad design, the new QAV540 looks like an amazing option. I will be upgrading my QAV500 to a 540 when i get back from Mexico.
It has a built in brushless gimble, longer arms to give more clearance from the gimble and allow larger props, 11' instead of 10'
qav540g_top_angle.jpg

Lee

The core is a power distribution board and OSD. Its not neccessary but it does a great job of organising the correct power to your FPV gear etc..

Tasajara

What are they using on the gimble, stepper motors?

The motors have a very high winding count, thus making them have a super low kv per volt rating. This is a high torque, low RPM motor.
Some of the motors will have from 80 to 110 turns per stator bar vs standard motors having 3 to 20 turns depending on the Kv rating

Last edited:
Top Bottom