FBL Gyro Tarot ZYX setup w/DX6i for 450 Heli

EyeStation

I just got this new to me Tarot/Align 450 Clone and it comes with the Tarot ZYX gyro. Went to flb.net.nz and got the programming software set up and connected.
I get a bit confused on two of the setup areas;
First is in the "Monitor" tab, concerning the "Tail Gain" settings. Where am I trimming the End Points in my transmitter? (DX6i)
setup_monitor.png

Then here, I do not know how to go about making these "A" and "B" limits.

"Tail Setup: This is where you will set the direction, trim and limits of the tail servo.
Verify the rudder servo moves in the correct direction, if not click on the Normal button
to reverse the tail servo. You can also set the HH (Tail Limit A) and Normal (Tail Limit
B) tail mode travel limits. Follow the on screen steps. When complete, click on the Next
button at the bottom of the screen or the Gyro Dir tab at the top of the screen
."
setup_tail_setup.png

Any help you may be able to offer me?

setup_tail_setup.png

setup_monitor.png

EyeStation

I can get 3 different results. With gyro/gear set to 0 or 1, and then a third result with the gyro INH from the TX.
I guess I am unsure what Gyro setting on my TX I have to be on to properly set this.
I then thought all the Gyro settings were to be removed from the TX, i.e. INH, but not the case either.
From the Manual,
Type of gyro sensitivity adjustment >GYRO SENS >RUDD D/R

Tail sensitivity adjustment GYRO SENS->RATE
0: 28%
1: 71%

Tail sensitivity switch INPUT SELECT->GEAR ->GYRO SYS"

Do I then trim my Gyro End points to 100% for each of the Gear/Gyro switch points?

DAL2855

Banned
Yes these would be correct for 0 and 1, you want two different gain settings. One is for Rate Mode, the other is for Heading Hold Mode. Higher of the two being HH mode. Then you will adjust the Rudder end points in the travel adjust menu of radio according to how fast you want the tail to respond to control inputs. I usually start with 50%/50% on rudder end points then adjust from there until it feels good on response. I usually end up around 80-90% on both, but that's just a good starting point.

EyeStation

First is in the "Monitor" tab, concerning the "Tail Gain" settings. Where am I trimming the End Points in my transmitter? (DX6i)
View attachment 8223

Still confused here. I have set my Gyro setting on my radio through this screen,
DX6i Gyro setup.png
Using the values of 28 for Rate 0 and 71 for Rate 1.
These values are the only thing that effects the "Tail Gain" graffic in the program.
What am I adjusting for? minimum, maximum, or just referencing a value?

I am still a bit flaky on the Tail setting too, but one step at a time. I am getting this thing under control, but have nearly 90 of right rudder subtrimmed with the last programing attempt.

DX6i Gyro setup.png

DAL2855

Banned
The gains in the radio are what switches the gyro back and forth between rate and heading hold modes. You want them as high as you can get them without causing tail wag. The travel limits in the software is what sets up the full movement of the servo. You adjust the travel limit a and b to achieve full travel of the tail pitch slider full left and full right rudder. Then set the gains in the radio to what is recommended by the gyro manufacturer. Then do a test flight. If you have tail wag, then you'll need to lower your gains in the TX. If no tail wag, then you can go up slightly on the gains. Once you start getting tail wag, then lower the gains by 5% and you should be good to go!

EyeStation

So the values I see in the graffic for the software "Tail Gain" are irrelevant to my setup procedure???? This seems to be the basic first step in matching up my transmitter. All other functions on the software screen have a purpose. Finding electrical zero and full scale gains for each channel.
These properties are what I am trying to determine for setting up that graffic with Tail Gain.
To put it another way, for pitch, I sub trim for a zero and set my travel limits for ( + ) and ( - ) 100%.
So looking at Tail Gain, what do I adjust on my transmitter to achieve a zero point and what do I adjust on my TX for ( + ) and ( - )100% ? I actually need to know what buttons to push and not necessarily how the final outcomes feels in flight.

I hope this asks my question better.

I do appreciate you chiming in though Mike! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

^^^^ If you did answer this already, Hit Me With A Big Stick and tell me again.

DAL2855

Banned
Right, the gains you are setting here in the software, have absolutely nothing to do with TX setup. They do however have an effect on how the heli will react and how it will fly. You will want as little subtrim as possible, just like sub-trimming any other servo, Travel limits are different for the Rudder channel when setting up the TX. Normally in the radio, the travel limits limit how far the servo actually travels, not so with the rudder channel. When you setup the travel limits within the gyro in the software this is what actually limits how far the servo will travel. The travel limits in the TX affect how quickly it responds to those limits. Such as, if you setup your limits correctly in the gyro, then set travel limits in the radio for rudder channel to 100% v.s. setting them at 50% it will respond faster and will Piroutte faster at the 100% Rudder travel than if you have them set at the 50%.

EyeStation

Well Mike, I have to thank you for your patience.
I am getting a lot closer with the software setup. I noticed when I switched from rate 0 to rate 1 on the gyro switch, the nose shot left.
Like Eye said before, one step at a time.
[video=youtube_share;53NZy-uRiWw]http://youtu.be/53NZy-uRiWw[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Alot of the back and forth is me keeping it in the playing field.

DAL2855

Banned
You should not be changing modes mid-flight. I always flip the switch putting it into HH mode before I ever plug up the battery on the heli. As soon as I turn the radio on, that's the first things I do, Throttle hold, then HH mode, then D/R switches to proper positions. Then I plug in the battery on the heli.

When you are in HH mode, the tail slider should stay where you put it until you move the rudder stick again. Where when you are in Rate mode, if you release the rudder stick, it should go back to the center position.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you've gotten it setup pretty good now! But I will warn ya, I would never even attempt to spool up my 450 inside the house!

murankar

Staff member
With hh mode you really need to consult the manual. ensure the gyro will initialize while in head hold.

I know my (out dated non-fbl) gyro hates being in hh while initializing. Not saying its wrong just make sure the gyro will not have issues. Good luck.

DAL2855

Banned
Mine initializes just fine when in HH mode, I've done it with both the older ZYX and the ZYX-S versions and neither one have had an issue with it. They go through the normal process, then instead of lighting up the blue light for Rate Mode, it lights up the Red one for HH mode!

Top Bottom