FBL Gyro TAROT zyx 3 axis help needed

pj1969

I just completely had to rebuild my 450pro DFC after crashing last week and need help with the tarot setting up. I've had to change nearly everything on her, Servos, gears, head, shaft, tail boom etc and need to start from scratch to set her up. I'm a little confused with what the manual says " connect to receiver"?? Problem is I only use the tarot and a satellite and not a receiver, do I need to use one to set up or can I just plug servos and esc straight into the unit? That's how is was before and flew rock solid. I've looked for videos on setting up, but the only one on you tube is really confusing as the guy skips bits etc. if anyone has set one up from scratch, please can you go through it step by step for me or send me a link or video how to start. I really want to try and do this myself, rather than taking her to a shop to sort out. Where do I start?

Tony

Staff member
If there are ports for just the satellite Rx's, then you should be able to use just those. As for the setup, I will have to let someone else help you as I Have never had one in my hands before.

pj1969

yeah i can use just the satelite, but the manual is quite confusing lol, well for me anyway. I've bound the satelite to the tarot, but thats about it, cant seem to get it into setting mode. Thanks for help Tony, i'll keep searching the net

Tony

Staff member
I wish I could be of more help. Maybe I need to get one of these in my hands so that I can actually help people with them lol.

pj1969

Dont be silly you do enough for us all. These little beauties are fabulous, but the manual is a nightmare. Just one thing, when putting it all back together, shall i put servo arms as close to 90* as possible, use same length for a 3 links to swash, level it mechanically with out any power as i cant use tarot with servo's?? its kinda a catch 22 situation isnt it haha.

Tony

Staff member
There should be a setting in that gyro somewhere like the Align DIR mode, that will bypass the gyros so that you can do a proper setup. yes, if this is a Pro helicopter, then the 3 swash to servo links will be exactly the same length. this is a must.

pj1969

There is a set button when you turn it on, but for some reason it is not working. cant get it to enter setting mode. Yeah it's a pro, so will set links to 10.5mm as per manual. Looks like i got a long weekend a head of me lol

murankar

Staff member
I have found a few setup videos on YouTube. I have been watching them to learn it. I have been thinking of getting one, still on the fence on this purchase. Anyhow YouTube should help out.

pj1969

If you have any links that would be great, the ones I've seen are not really that clear, when she was flying, it was amazing rock solid. For the money spot on, to set up a bit of a pig lol

pj1969

Well after alot of head scratching and trying to make head n tail out of the manual, I think I have finally got her sorted. I'm going to be honest and say, doing it by the manual was way beyond me, so I plugged her into a laptop and went through things in the programs. It is pretty self explaining and once I'd had a couple of goes it will very easy to set up in the future. Only thing I had problems with, was actually getting the USB dongle to connect, sometimes it would, sometimes it just didn't want to play ball. I have found a video with a guy going through the setting up step by step and I will be following this when I get home tonight, as a couple of settings I did, may of been wrong, so I'll set her to hat this guy is showing. Anyway, just goes to show with a little persavierance it can be done. As soon as I'm able I will try and get a video of her flying again. Thanks for all the help guys. Happy flying

murankar

Staff member
Sorry I didnt follow up sooner. I got busy with the family and forgot. Anyhow glad you found something to help out.

chrisp858

Hi,

New to the forum (haven't done the intro yet) but I was tinkering with a Tarot ZYX-S for a short period. And you're in the right direction - the manual is outdated (if 1 even came in the box) as entering the setup mode is now only done thru the computer / laptop software only. You may have to update your firmware to consistently link with the software, a method also found on youtube.

pj1969

Hi Chris, welcome to RC, you will soon fit right in. Thanks for the tip, i actually threw the manual away and the video i watch on YT was completely mind blowing. I downloaded the software and found a tutorial on YT that was really helpful and the guy went through step by step in proper terms everybody can understand. Ive since then set the heli up, had servo troubles, stripped and rebuit, set up a hand full of times, i'm fluent in TAROT lol. I'm just waiting on some new gears for the servo's, then i will be hooking back up to the laptop and hopefully getting her airborne again. I'm hoping the setting up goes well, as i have bought a ZYX for my Trex600 to convert to DFC next week. The Tarot is amazing on my 450, rock solid and so stable, thats why i went for another. Any way, hope you have fun here on the forum, any help just ask and i'm sure you will get expert advise from many sources.

chrisp858

Awesome, it sounds like you've got a good handle on the Tarot FBL unit. I put mine into my converted Trex 450 sport (to a DFC head) and really struggled with it. I never got the bird in the air because the heli would go into an uncontrollable spin just before she was about to hover off the ground. I couldn't figure it out so luckily, I have an Align 3GX unit that came with my Trex 550 (still in the box) and put it in the 450 (and the ZYX-S is back in the box). This along with Tony's 3GX vids have made a much more smoother transfer.

Not sure if you've heard anything about my Tarot issue but any advice would be useful, I can't find anything on it anywhere. But I'm digging this forum, the people are very helpful and seem like good people.

pj1969

Chris that's exactly what mine did, just before diggin get blades into the ground, it's the gyro compensation on the last part of the program. It's the part where you check swash direction, tilt directioncand tail direction. I think on mine I reversed it and hey presto sorted it!!! I will try and take a screen shot for you so you know exclavtly what part of the program I mean. Also a friend on here called LEE has done a quick video on checking tail direction, I will post a link or I'm sure Tony has it to hand and that made sure every thing was going in the correct way. I will also give you the link to the tutorials I followed, made setting the tarot up quite easy, just follow it step by step and don't panic if thing are back to front at the start, like swash travel and servos, it all becomes clear at the end . We will get you and the tarot friends in no time

chrisp858

Awesome PJ, thank you for posting these! It's a relatively inexpensive FBL unit but if I can get use out of it, it won't be a waste of money!

Top Bottom