450 Tarot Replacement Head...

Rob Lancaster

Ok guys, I'm fed up with this HK450 clone head!
After upgrading the ESC and motor I can't get this POC to hover. She drifts in all three planes. Also the tracking is good one day and the next it's way off. I'm fighting it all the way and I'm afraid the main blades are going to separate from the aircraft again! And yes it's a new head that I had in stock.

I really need you're guys input on this problem. Have a look at the link. Will this head unit stay in tune or is it another POC? Tarot 450 PRO Completed Rotor Head Set TL2338-02 [TL2338-02] - $28.03 : Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor

Remember guys, I want to perfect my flybar chopper before I move on.
Thanks a trillion!

Admiral

I used the standard Tarot FBL head on two Blade 400's which were the older black ones and they worked well, I have also used the Tarot DFC head on a couple of other 450's .
The only issue I ever had was the regularity they change the design of the feathering shafts although I must say replacements were always available once you worked out which one you needed.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, the stock HK head pretty much sucks. I had all kinds of play issues in the linkages that drove me crazy! I did end up going with a Tarot head, and although it was better, there was still play in it from improper manufacturing. I ended up installing a full Align SE V2 head that a member gave me here on the forum years ago. Never had another issue with the head on this helicopter.

Buying the Align head is hit or miss now. If you go through places like AMain, it is going to be expensive. If you get it from ebay, you will be wondering about how hard is has been crashed.

The Tarot head may be the perfect "meet in the middle" compromise. Maybe not a perfect flybar head, but definitely better than the HK stock head, and you can always upgrade things like washout and radius arms, swash drivers and flybar cages or even blade grips and bearings to Align for a much better head in the long run.

My vote, if you can't find a used Align head, purchase the Tarot head and look it over. If you see slack in anything, order that part in Align and replace it.

Rob Lancaster

Hey guys, if I decided to go flybarless (not DFC) would I need high voltage servos?

I'm running HiTEC HS-65MG cyclic servos now...

Rob Lancaster

Wow, what took so long? Nah just joking...…..
Oh yeah, I forgot about the digital part...……………..

Another question: can I run the same 2200 3s packs with a flybarless system?

Rob Lancaster

Yeah its works for me, LOL!
You know I've been thinking and I think I want an Align chopper for sure.
Get this, I found a Trex 450 pro for $300.00 at my LHS. I can't believe it! I know it's an older model but all my electronics from my old HK450POS should fit right in. I figure that will save me money for now and I get to perfect the flybar system. Then I can move on.
As they say in Hawaii; what you tink bra? Note: the locals can't pronounce the (TH) sound. So the number three is tree and so forth. Or should I say fort, he he heee....

Tony

Staff member
$300 is actually kind of high for a kit that old. But it will be a great kit if you want to get it. And yes, your electronics will fit right into that helicopter, EXCEPT your tail gyro unless you are using a 500 size servo on the tail (it's slightly larger than the cyclic servos).

Rob Lancaster

Again I never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up on that...
Just for the heck of it; would you happen to know where I MIGHT find one at a lesser price?
So far this is the only one and I can find on line.. T-REX 450 Pro Kit Combo KX015073 - T-Rex 450 - Helicopter Kits … Much more than my LHS at $300. That's why I'm kind of stoked... It does come with a motor and ESC but I want to use my Scorpion motor and the Hobbywing ESC and save the other two units for spares..

Oh, one more thing; would it be feasible to mount the tail servo on the boom like the SE-V2? Or am I hopelessly cheap...

Rob Lancaster

Thanks for the tip buddy but I have come to know, (the hard way) that you really do what you pay for. After the hell I went through with the HK head, I think it's time for Align, the best...

Tony

Staff member
One thing I keep forgetting is where you live. Shipping from up here to down there would get pretty expensive. But you are right, there are not many out there anymore...

Admiral

If you are really after a 450 Pro grab the one at your LHS you are just not going to find another one they are like hen's teeth and being local you are going to save the freight costs, my only real concern would be the spare parts to keep it flying, our LHS are phasing out Align parts older than 450L.
As for the tail servo yes you can mount it on the boom, you just need to alter the tail push rod, the other alternative is to get an adapter plate that you can make or buy, they bolt onto the the 500 size mount and then the smaller servo mounts inside of the plate. the servo drive shaft goes closest to the tail and you may have to adjust the tail push rod a bit for length.

upload_2018-10-17_5-57-17.jpeg

Rob Lancaster

Yeah, after searching all night, I'm grab'n the one at my LHS. That is after I finish another brake job and shorten my shopping list, LOL!.....

Oh hey, the kits are rare but I have no trouble (so far) finding all the spare parts I need on line. So again I think this is the way to go.

Hey Keith, good deal on the options I have with the tail servo! The available space to mount electronics with the SE V2 seems to be more than with the PRO because of the tail servo location and the slope of the battery mount.

I have a battery, receiver and satellite receiver, telemetry unit, LED Nav light controller, ESC and motor, gyro, location beeper, altitude and RPM sensors. Oh man, when it comes to a 450, it's like cram'n 10 pounds of C in a 5 pound bag, LOL....………….. Still; it can be done; so it should be done...………… :beerchug:

Stay tuned,
Thanks guys!!

Top Bottom