450 Tarot 450 Pro TT convert to belt gear out of round

Reece Isaac

Hi,
I decided to convert my Tarot 450 Pro to belt tail drive when I ordered it as I've heard that TT wasn't too forgiving with blade strikes. So I duly replaced the front and back drive parts to belt and continued my build. I discovered to my dismay that the drive gear would disengage every half revolution of the main rotor. I measured the gear and found it to be out of round and replaced it with another. This was better and I completed the build. First flight proved it wasn't and I sent some parts back to the supplier for replacement and converted back to TT in the mean time. A tail blade strike did just as expected knocking out a few teeth from the from bevel set so I decided to reconvert back to belt whilst new bevel gears were ordered. I'm sad to say that there is still a problem with the gears disengaging.

What I what to know is, is there any way of adjusting the mesh of the main tail drive gear to the small one so that it won't disengage each half revolution of the main shaft? The TT gear stays engaged so why doesn't the belt gear?

Thankyou

Lee

A video paints a thousand words Reece. Can you get a clip of it to look at? If its only disengaging every half revolution, then something must be bent.

Tony

Staff member
If you can show some pictures of the actual parts, and how they are not working together, I can get a little more indepth. But I will give it a go with what I "think" is the issue.

Most of the knockoff parts are almost always drilled or molded out of round. There is only one way to get around this, and I highly suggest, That is to get Align gears. From the main gear to the auto-rotation gear to every gear on the tail, get align. You will know they are true and will stay meshed together.

Hope you get it in the air soon. I sold my EXI and it was eating tail gears as well, but I never had the chance to put align gears on it.

Reece Isaac

Unfortunately I've already reconverted back to TT. The curious thing is that the Auto rotation gear stays engaged in the TT gear but not the belt drive gear. The gears are the Tarot branded gears that came in the kit and additional. I sent the tail mount block back and had it replaced as I thought it had an error that it would let the gears mesh fully. Remember the auto gear engages the TT gear just fine. I measured the auto gear (actually a couple of them) and they out of round.
Are the threaded holes in the hex parts that hold the block together drilled off centre? Could there be some method of adjustment by rotating them around to close the mesh?
I'll get this thing back in the air this way until I used the spare TT parts then I expect I'll try the belt bits again. I'll try the Align gears then.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Surprising tarot did that. My tarot parts are flawless usually and quality matches aligns.. But like there guys said, may be a video would be good.

Or just get the front gear of the belt drive from lhs. Not very expensive...
Tt is not very noob friendly.. Lol ;)

Top Bottom