Other Taranis plus

scrc511

I have the Taranis Plus, and I know Helicopter has gone weak these days due to the popularities of Drones. My question is, whenever I create a new model in my Taranis for some reason it won't let me pick the Heli anymore but it does let me on Planes, Jets and Drones but not Heli. I don't think it's a firmware issue cause I did tried loading the older firmware it pretty much did the same thing.
Any thoughts on this pls let me know and thanks in advance.

Scrc

Smoggie

I wish i could be of some help. I did have a Taranis for a few months but i found the programming pretty baffling after coming from Spektrum so i sold it. I know many people do fly helis with the Taranis so it is possible to select heli, but what the trick is I can't tell you, sorry.

Smoggie

ok, I found the cause of your problems. The pre set for helicopters hasn't been implemented in the Open Source firmware yet (and probably never will be by the sound of it). The 'button' for the heli pre-set is therefore non-functional. You have to set it all up from scratch.

Here's a post i found elsewhere confirming this and a link to setup info:
The Wizard for Helicopter has not been implemented (yet). You will need to program it manually. I don't fly them, but some info is available on OpenTX University Basic Heli Part 1: Setup | OpenTX University

To be honest it was this sort of issue that made me sell the Taranis. The software I'm assured is potentially very powerful, but also very non-intuitive and difficult, frustrating and time consuming to learn. These are the 'joys' of open source software:rolleyes:

Last edited:

scrc511

Thanks, you should of kept yours. Like any other Transmitter programming isn't that hard once you learned how to navigate the radio. More and more people are using and prefer this radio better than Spektrum. Couple of good pilots I know, one sponsored and the other is not but an engineer to one of major aircraft company are both using the Taranis and they really love it. Guess Im just gonna wait for another update and hopefully they'll have the Heli option will be available in the future update. I have another radio that can Handle my Heli aircraft for now, Futaba 14SG another solid radio.
Thank you so much for the info you sent me.

scrc

Smoggie

You might be right, but it just seemed like a lot of hard work to learn the Open Tx programming when i could do the same thing in Spektrum in moments without any effort. It's interesting that the artical on how to setup a heli in Open Tx begins with these words:
An upfront warning, this is a long lesson. Allocate plenty of time to get through it if you have not played much with a Taranis radio. You may wish to print this article, because it can serve as a complete checklist as you work through the programming. VERY handy!
That's enough to put me off!

On the plus side i guess that once you have done the setup for one heli you could copy that setup over and use as a starting point for any subsequent helis, which should reduce the pain somewhat.

Last edited:

Lee

Exactly why, all my helis are on my Spektrum DX8
And all my Planes, multis and FPV models are on my Taranis :D

Top Bottom