Batteries Taranis =Ni-Mh AA2000maH x6 7.2V battery

Tony

Staff member
No, that is actually a Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery. It has 6 cells (AA Size, like a small flashlight or remote takes) and each cell is 1.2 volts giving the pack 7.2 volts.

Change your battery settings on your charger to NiMH and it should charge just fine. The settings on the charger stock should be fine. Don't worry about any of them other than the amperage. speaking of that, I would charge at 1 amp if it were mine. Get a light bulb like you have in your brake lights, and run that battery down until the light just starts to go out, but doesn't completely. The bulb will draw about 2 amps, so it's a 1c discharge rate. If you want, you can put another bulb on there in parallel and raise the amp draw.

Once it's almost completely discharged, as long as the cells are not HOT, only warm, stick it immediately onto the charger. Let it charge all the way on the NiMH setting and you should get a good battery. Don't worry about the voltage going up, then coming back down, this is what is called "Delta Peak Detection". When these are fully charged, they will actually drop voltage just a bit. Your charger will kick it off when it drops a specific amount.

Also, make another plug where you can plug this thing directly into the main port. That may have a balance port on it, but it's not for balancing. The reason cell 1 is so low is because there is not a wire in there. Meaning there is a slight draw on that channel, but it's not much.

Hope this helps.

Stambo

That is a 6 cell NiMh battery. 7.2v
Your lipo tester cannot test this, neither should you try to charge it with a lipo charger.
Check it with a meter or charge it in the Taranis and check it there.

edit
Ok Tony beat me to it. :)

Last edited:

WyDiablo

Dummy me I used a lipo tester and it showed one cell dead and I ordered a new battery when the one I had was good. Live and learn the hard way. If any of you guys have a hexa with a Taranis eeprom file that's flyable and would like to share please post it. I have a hexa program that I made already in the Taranis and I"m just trying to make sure its flyable also. So comparing mine with another good program would be great. Thanks guys for the help now I will have 2 good batteries lol

Stambo

I still use the stock Taranis battery.
I also have a 2 cell 500mah lipo that is back up for my FPV goggles.
This fits the Taranis easily and powers it for as long as I need.
I think I have only used it twice for the Taranis when I have forgotten to charge after a days flying.

WyDiablo

Well I use the battery charger that came with the Taransi. I think tomorrow morning I will call and cancel my battery order if I can. The battery settings in the radio was the problem for the Taranis to keep saying low battery and after fixting that everything is fine now. I checked my battery with a volt meter and it say 7.8V.

Top Bottom