ESC Talon 90 Replacement??

Bruno

What do members recommend as an ESC replacement to improve the power of my stock Trex 550E DFC (600Mx Motor) with a CC BEC PRO?? :torn:

Derek

I have moved this thread to the ESC section of the forum since the main question is about ESC's.

pvolcko

I don't have the TRex 550, but I have a Blade 550 and I use a Castle Creations Edge 120HV on it. Bit of overkill but works well and it turns out this is now the ESC they ship with the combo kits. The stock ESC before this was an eflight 100A model. So a CC Edge 100 would probably work well too.

It looks like the 600MX and the motor I have on the 550X are similar specs. 75A continuous, 125A burst. If you're doing or plan to be doing hard collective or 3D with it, I'd go for the Edge 120HV of Edge 130 (non-HV). If you're going to be sport flying with moderate and only bursty power hits, then I'd go with an Edge 100.

I'm partial to CC. YEPs of similar rating would be fine too, though the built in governors probably won't be as good.

Bruno

I don't have the TRex 550, but I have a Blade 550 and I use a Castle Creations Edge 120HV on it. Bit of overkill but works well and it turns out this is now the ESC they ship with the combo kits. The stock ESC before this was an eflight 100A model. So a CC Edge 100 would probably work well too.

It looks like the 600MX and the motor I have on the 550X are similar specs. 75A continuous, 125A burst. If you're doing or plan to be doing hard collective or 3D with it, I'd go for the Edge 120HV of Edge 130 (non-HV). If you're going to be sport flying with moderate and only bursty power hits, then I'd go with an Edge 100.

I'm partial to CC. YEPs of similar rating would be fine too, though the built in governors probably won't be as good.

What is the difference between the 120HV and the 130 (non HV)? What does "HV" mean?

Last edited:

pvolcko

HV denotes "high voltage". It will handle high voltage setups, 7S up to 14S, I think. For the 550 class at 6S it doesn't make a difference, it will still handle the current demand of the motor in a 6S configuration. Arguably it will be better at handling it than a 130 non-HV since the 120HV is rated for 120A at the full voltage (14S ~ 59V). If you're only putting 6S through the HV ESC then it is half the actual power handling capability so it should be cooler and less stressed compared to the 130 non-HV which is only rated for 130A at 6S maximum (3.2kW).

Bruno

HV denotes "high voltage". It will handle high voltage setups, 7S up to 14S, I think. For the 550 class at 6S it doesn't make a difference, it will still handle the current demand of the motor in a 6S configuration. Arguably it will be better at handling it than a 130 non-HV since the 120HV is rated for 120A at the full voltage (14S ~ 59V). If you're only putting 6S through the HV ESC then it is half the actual power handling capability so it should be cooler and less stressed compared to the 130 non-HV which is only rated for 130A at 6S maximum (3.2kW).

Thank you. Very helpful.

Top Bottom