ESC Talon 90 problems

flysolo

I have done a lot of changes and major repairs to my 550 dfc and now I can't get the esc to work. I'm learning at everything so it's probably something I did, not a faulty component I think.

When connecting the battery there is nothing, no sounds at all. There seems to be power because the 3gx works and it gets the power from the esc right?

Someone got some tips what to check? Are the beeps coming from the motor? You think bad connection between esc and motor maybe?

I did stick the amp sensor between the battery and the esc and that would be the first place to check but since I get power to the 3gx that can't be the problem?

flysolo

I get a spark like normal when connecting and the internal bec is getting power (powering the 3gx :) ) but i don't hear the welcoming cc jingle beeps

- - - Updated - - -

Found the problem, one of the bullet connectors in the esc has come loose.. They are fitted in the casing so I'm not sure how to put it back but now I know the problem. Maybe should have taken it apart before starting a new thread, sorry.

heli-maniac

If the bullet connector came loose on the Talon then its getting to hot . that is a big problem with that esc
I replaced the Talon I had with a Yep 100 and it works Awesome

flysolo

Still need help!

The connectors on the esc does not seem to be soldered to the board. It looks more like some really hard gray glue. It's a really tight fit so I dont't even know if it is possible to solder but would it be safe?

Any other options? It must be very heat resistent

WP_000262.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If the bullet connector came loose on the Talon then its getting to hot . that is a big problem with that esc
I replaced the Talon I had with a Yep 100 and it works Awesome

Ok so it's a known problem? Had hopes it was something I could fix

WP_000262.jpg

flysolo

Ok, thanks.

I tried to solder it but it's not going to work. Looking for a new esc now. Are you happy with the yep? My local shop seems to have some called yge and some called kontronik but the kontronik are very expensive.

heli-maniac

Im happy with the YEP esc i have them on all 3 of my Helis .
They are a clone of the YGE .
If you get a YEP or a YGE you will need the Programing card also To set them up

flysolo

Got a new Talon90 from the shop where I bought the heli, the guy is going to send the other one back.

For some reason Castle has different bullet connectors on the ESC when it's shipped with the Align kit and when it's sold separetaly. Had to cut the motor cables and solder new bigger and shorter bullets.

Another annoying thing was that the throttle-cable was about 3cm shorter so with the 3GX in the position I have in the back and the esc under the battery plate it was not long enough. Had to cut a servo cable and solder it like an extension.

What should normal temperature of the esc be? At what point is it getting so warm that it can fail in the same way as the old one, anyone know?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Taking to a castle guy, he said esc is comfortable running at 130F usually. Check the logs to see what temps got to.

Do you have good airflow on it. Testing on the bench it'll be warmer. While in the air it's got more cooling going on

flysolo

I searched a bit and it seems like there is no logging :( I got logs from my telemetry but that sensor has not been on the ESC.

It was running very warm with set rpm gov so Tony adviced to run a flat curve and it improved a lot

heli-maniac

The Talon 90 with the bigger connectors is worse about the connectors coming off like your other one did .
With it mounted under the battery tray it will get to hot . there is no air flow
2nd thing I dont like about the Talon 90 on a 550 is it has to work to hard in GOV. mode to hold a 2100 rpm head speed I had to regear mine to get it happy

Doum066

Got a new Talon90 from the shop where I bought the heli, the guy is going to send the other one back.

For some reason Castle has different bullet connectors on the ESC when it's shipped with the Align kit and when it's sold separetaly. Had to cut the motor cables and solder new bigger and shorter bullets.

Another annoying thing was that the throttle-cable was about 3cm shorter so with the 3GX in the position I have in the back and the esc under the battery plate it was not long enough. Had to cut a servo cable and solder it like an extension.

What should normal temperature of the esc be? At what point is it getting so warm that it can fail in the same way as the old one, anyone know?

Yep the ESC with bigger connectors, about 5mm i think, is the one made specialy for Align 550, it comes already set as what Align recommends and fits motor cables connectors, no setting is required basicly, unless you want to adjust your own preferences or GOV mode or Auto-rotation, that's a guy from CC that told me when i was unable to set my Talon 90 with my BeastX and i asked hi how to know if it's the one that comes in the package or not, since mine was missing from the box and i had one shipped after, the other one, is as you said sold seperatly, and has to completly be set to work with helis and or Align.

As for temp, i only do basics sport flying so far (some flips, rainbows, inverted hovering, pirouettes, loops and FF) i check the ESC after each flights with a temp gun because of all the horror stories i'Ve read about CC ESCs, and it never get passed 80-90 deg F or so on my side, i don't have any sensor for telemetry so i only check it out when i land. And mine is installed on the side frames as seen in this picture. I wanted to make sure it has the most airflow it could. And i don't use GOV mode.

ESC.JPG

ESC.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom