FBL Gyro Tail Wag

Matt

I haven’t quite figured out the tail wag issue on my 450. I’ve got an Align Trex 450 with a Microbeast. My transmitter is a Spektrum DX8. I have 42.5% gyro gain in my TX but when I move the tail in flight there is an echo effect that seems like wag. Higher gain setting like 60% would cause tail wag, right? And a lower setting like 25% would cause tail drifting, right? Or is it the other way around. I’m not sure how high/ low the gain setting would be to get a solid tail with the Microbeast .

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
You could have another issue with the tail besides gain. Each heli will be different as far as gain goes. Fwiw, heres what I do. First I start in rate mode. I'll adjust the linkage rod until the tail doesn't drift ether way with the stick at center. Then I'll re-set the end points. Then I'll bump the gain up in heading hold until the tail wags or oscillates. Then bring it down till the wag stops. Thats your max gain. The numbers are irrelevant because they will be different for every helicopter. Spektrum tx is -gain for rate and +gain for HH. Just thinking maybe a binding in the linkage or some slop somewhere??? Just thinking out load here..
T

murankar

Staff member
With your gain to low its going to "hunt" and to high it's going to scare the ever living pooh out of you by twitching 90 degrees, the wag of death.

Wags can come from anywhere. First ensure your mechanical stuff is working correctly. Push rod is not binding, servo is still good with little to no slop in the gears. Ensure your pitch slider is running smooth and no binding. Check your bearings in the blade grips, make sure they are assembled correctly and no binding or notchiness. Is the ball link set to the right hole on the servo arm (could have to much mechanical advantage). Make sure your flying a flat or small V curve and no governor. A governor can cause tail issues that can't be tuned out unless you tune the governor.

If that "echo" comes when doing hard tail movements like turning at high speed I would look at your P and I gains. If the echo is from normal flying then your gain maybe to high for your setup, consider dropping a half to whole percent.

As for what is to much or to little: that will be determined by your heli and your flying. We can give you a base starting point but its going to be whatever she wants to fly at. Start at the high end of lets say 60 and work your way down little by little till the tail stops wagging.

Top Bottom