450 Tail wag

Rikrik51

Hi was getting loads of wag after first crash/rebuild lol of 450 Dom,turned out I'd put tail rotor con rod on outside hole on servo arm put it on hole nearest centre -wag sorted but still get a touch of wag pretty minor now and again,read on a forum today plastic tail blades can help! any thoughts people?

Tony

Staff member
First thing to check is make sure there is no binding in the tail anywhere, and also check the tail shaft. From there, just make sure you are in HH mode and you may need to reduce your gain. I know, it was fine before, but I have seen many times where a lower gain is needed after a crash. As for the plastic blades, I guess it could reduce it, but I would just get it to work with carbon blades since that is what you have on it I'm guessing.

Rikrik51

That's interesting Tony,I've cured it to the point it's not an issue but just get that hint of it you know.
As always thanks for input

ChopDrifter

yeah nothing worse than a crash, you end up going through the heli with a fine comb looking for binding or bearing notchiness, servos, mechanical issues etc etc.. Take your time

Rikrik51

You've hit the nail on the head my friend,very frustrating,Tony is on the ball as well that tail mech has to to super slick

Geena

Staff member
Another thing that will cause tail wag, and gets overlooked most of the time, are bad thrust bearings. If the geometry is right, the mechanics are smooth, gains are good, but he wag is still there. Change the thrust bearings.

Tony

Staff member
Great point Geena. When you are "testing" there is no pressure on the thrust bearings in the tail.

Geena

Staff member
That`s exactly right. Same goes for the main head too. If you get disc wobble on hard maneuvers, and changing the dampers don`t cure it...look at the Thrust bearings. I always change my thrust bearings on the tail and on the main head after every crash. I change them after every flying season if I have not had any crashes.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Is there any way to check these bearings before they go bad? or basically change them out when you think their going bad?

Rikrik51

That`s exactly right. Same goes for the main head too. If you get disc wobble on hard maneuvers, and changing the dampers don`t cure it...look at the Thrust bearings. I always change my thrust bearings on the tail and on the main head after every crash. I change them after every flying season if I have not had any crashes.
Tnx geena gonna order some today

Smoggie

I'm not sure of the others experience but 'mechanics' like sticky linkages and notchy bearings in my experience tend to produce relatively slow and lazy wag of the tail. This is quite different to the high speed shake you get when the gain is too high.

So what sort of wag has the tail of your heli got?

Rikrik51

Hi smoggie;its that quick wagging,one thing I did do wrong was put the tail slider canteliver bit together wrong I had the little black arms the wrong round causing binding,
As I mentention before the wag only comes in now and again so I will replace bearings,I am continually amazed at how many factors can contribute to this problem

Smoggie

If it's a fast wag, like a blurring of the tail, than i'd suspect that it's simply gain too high

You can also get wag if your head speed is too low; however, you've got to get the linkage slicker than you know what! Take the link off the servo arm and move it...it needs to move very easily, else it'll wag.

murankar

Staff member
At what point during your flying does the tail wag fast? More than likely it is the gain. Drop it 3 to 5 points.

Rikrik51

Hi guys thanks for the suggestion now got no wag
Next job is finally getting blade400 flying got a new gyro and tail servo coming so gonna need help
Regards
Rick.

Top Bottom