450 Tail twitch

Murray

Rodney, I had a elevator servo with twitch on my spectrs g made the heli jump up 10 to 15 inches. replaced the servo and took care of the problem. might switch your servo with another just to see.

trainrider06

Rodney, I had a elevator servo with twitch on my spectrs g made the heli jump up 10 to 15 inches. replaced the servo and took care of the problem. might switch your servo with another just to see.
Hi Murray, this is kinda freaky, just a few minutes ago I was just messing with the gains, following Lee's advise to turn em up till the tail wags.....when I powered it up and began rising throttle, it sounded weird, like the collective had suddenly went to -18 or something, the blades were burping pretty loud...also noticed the heli sat back on its tail as stick was raised a bit. Shut it down, low and behold rear servo inop!
I guess this servo was the issue after all, and a warning sign for me with that weird tail action I was having.
I can't imagine how ugly that would have been if that servo had decided to fail as I brought it up in this small area in the garage here.
Thank you! This must have been the issue with this heli...but I am losing confidence in these DS430 servos now!
This was the second one that failed on this heli....I am starting to wonder if these servos suck or I am having an ESC surge issue. I got this heli used, but the servos looked brand new! Somethings going on! Just in case this heli is getting a new motor and ESC! Luckily I have those in stock....have to order the servo though....:(

trainrider06

Hi Neil/Lee, ah yes I have 3 EMax D09's I think they are that were on the HK450 that I totaled, those servo's are excellent! In fact I have them on my V450D03 heli that's Kbarred that I just crashed last week (awaiting parts from China..:()
They are great servo's!
Dang it that is the other servo that I was trying to remember that I think D.O.G. Had recommended Lee that I was thinking about.

Well I found some more (3) DS430's that I purchased on eBay last night all three were $54.00 new.
I am beginning to think that the esc is the culprit here, in combination it is screwing my servos up which is leading to other issues like a tail tick...
This esc I had repaired when I was doing motor testing on the heli....I let the wire running to the receiver get into the motor, and rub off the insulation. It wasn't bad, but I repaired it. But I think this either shorted the esc and caused something to go wrong within the esc ormybrepair was faulty. Either way I am replacing it with a new one!

trainrider06

I have a lot of ESC's to choose from, one brand new YEP esc that I'll probably put on it, or the Castle
Hadn't decided yet...

sprevin

I have an issue with my TRex 450 FB heli.
The tail twitches, not all the time, but it twitches.
I replaced the TT and boom on it, checked all the mechanical movement front to back on the tail and tail gears, it's smooth as silk! I have a Spartan Quark gyro on it, my gains have been adjusted down so far that now I am getting drift.....with the twitch...
Anyone have this happen before?

what type of gyro are you using?

trainrider06

what type of gyro are you using?

Spartan Quark, I've used those on every FB heli I have and all have been great....even swapped it for another Quark.....it still does it, so I just fly the damn thing now and its flown nice....Never did figure it out....But she'll get a little swish here and there, tail moves about a 1/4 an inch....then it holds for a while again....
Here it is last time I flew it...
450 YG - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
If it does it with another gyro, then it's either the Tx, the servo or some kind of glitch which is rare in 2.4.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
If I had to guest, it would be the servo. When my 450 tail was twitching, I took my main blades and the tail blades off and spool up the heli. That's how I found out that my rudder servo was going bad. It was twitching, like Elvis. LOL

trainrider06

If it does it with another gyro, then it's either the Tx, the servo or some kind of glitch which is rare in 2.4.

I've tried another quark, another servo, and get the same results! Drives me nuts!
It's not a big twitch, more like a subtle wag...maybe moves a quarter inch to the right...but it's irregular.
I can sit there and hover it, and it'll do this slight little wag about every minute, or 30 seconds.

My 450 Pro DFC is rock solid however....well that's a totally different controller though with the Beast X isn't it? Lol

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I've tried another quark, another servo, and get the same results! Drives me nuts!
It's not a big twitch, more like a subtle wag...maybe moves a quarter inch to the right...but it's irregular.
I can sit there and hover it, and it'll do this slight little wag about every minute, or 30 seconds.

My 450 Pro DFC is rock solid however....well that's a totally different controller though with the Beast X isn't it? Lol

Just a thought, with the rudder servo being center, is your tail blade adjustment center also? Might be slightly off just enough to fight the servo?

trainrider06

Yeah, have made sure of that, it doesn't seem to affect the flight of it, am just gonna keep an eye on it for any weirder stuff
Bee sure to keep an eye on mechanical stuff too.

Top Bottom