Tail slider

treff

Anyone come across this before the tail slider coming unscrewed? Happen during side on hover practice. High speed spin but lucky.Slider.jpg

Slider.jpg

PaulRC

Which kit is that from? There's no thread lock. I use red thread lock on them. Get the xtreme metal control links. Also I can't see from this picture, but get the metal tail control arm too. One last thing oil your bearings and all metallic moving parts, prior to use. Going by the tail fin, you'd had a couple of rough landings.

treff

The thread had totally stripped from the slider. It could be pulled off and on without the thread. More junk from China I'm afraid. I got lucky but it does nothing for the nerves LOL. I changed the slider unit and the funny thing was
I put the tail hob on back to front. It does not work that way even when you reverse the blades LOL Cheers.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Gotta locktite it. Threads look like they've got nothing on them.

---

Wow, stripped off completely (my post came in late, after you already had updated thread)? Did you have a real hard landing with it to cause it? Even with cheap china factor, that would seem highly improbable without a lot of stress being put on that part. :)

Last edited:

treff

Yes the tail has been through the mill a bit LOL but this happen very unexpectedly. One second hovering, next crazy spin. There are so many bent bits on the heli now I can never tell if I've added another
after a hard arrival LOL. The tail boon is very bent but it helps with the high speed turns LOL. I replace the broken bits with broken bits off other broken bits if you get what I mean. Cheers

Tony

Staff member
Never EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use red thread locker on these birds! I can't stress that enough. That piece is one of the pieces that must be threadlocked and checked as soon as you pull it out of the package when building the kit. The bearings have to be super smooth in them and if there is any drag, at the speeds that is spinning, and the direction, it will unscrew it quite easily.

PaulRC

For super smooth bearings and lubrication on moving parts, I spray this lubricant(Inox MX3). Super Smooth :D

NA1024.jpg

Inox MX3 Lubricant Corrosion Inhibitor CAN | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

For open bearings and servo gears, I use white lithium grease.

$T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pM44BQE-9VccW!~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-Lucas-White-Lithium-Grease-226g-8oz-/190860794166?pt=UK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts&hash=item2c70309936

NA1024.jpg

$T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pM44BQE-9VccW!~~60_12.JPG

treff

Thanks PaulRC for the info on the Lub I will try and get some of the spay type. I have been using black grease on bearings, only kind I could get at the time but I must stock up on the right kind the next time I go to London or Birmingham
Cheers

treff

Thanks for that Slobberdog I will give him a bell. How's the outdoor flying going? Here I get through about 5 to 6 batteries a day but if you ask me
my flying is getting worse LOL. I had a close shave this morning when flying near to our home on a piece of ground.My neighbour who is over 80 years old came up behind me when I was zoned out in a side on hover
trying to tweak the heli around to the front. He walk straight past me and almost into the heli which was about 4 foot off the deck. I just turned it away and stuck it into the ground. New blades etc. etc. Frightened
the life out of me. Said he wanted to have a closer look. LOL. You should always be aware of what's going on around you but I just did not see him coming. Another lesson. Cheers

Slobberdog

not had loads of flights lately work and family, but used four batteries on my 450 this week got a nice feel for it now, but landed in a little to long grass last night and snagged my torque tube gear, so new one on its way,

got my 130X shake sorted out and have had a few batteries with that and getting a lot more confident with it, as i think its down to the fact i know if i crash its not gonna break the bank, lol,

with the 130x i'm getting forward flight with a right turn coming accross myself to the next corner of my imaginary box then coming back to myself tail first, then fwd flight across me and three turns then reverse it back to me, not got the hang of nose in yet, i can do it on the sim, but thats got the reset button not quite confident to do it in real life yet.

but if this weather keeps up loads more practice i hope, the one thing i found last night was i got the helis to about 15 ft of the deck, and thats lots for me, cos i like the comfort of having it at eye level, but it gives you a bit of thinking time without fear of tipping into the rotor wash and touching the ground, oh and got it at least 50 ft away from me and had the confidence to be ok with it.

Must say I think its down to the 25+ hrs of sim time i have put in lately while i have been not able to fly outside as my daughter is in bed and my wife is working.

Last edited:

treff

Great stuff Slobberdog you seem to be getting to grips very well. Its utter panic for me when the heli is more than a few feet of the deck. I do spent some time on the sim but
I find it does not help. Just rebuilding again after yet another smack down. Stripped the main gear and bent feathering shaft not to mention tail tube but I have straightened that.
I find on the sim I can do pretty much anything. Circuits, nose in, side on. It's easy but come the real thing. Totally different kettle of fish. I can do tail in hover. Side on hover. Nose in hover but
for the life of me I can not do them together. I can not transition from one to the other. I crash every time. It's really holding up my progress not to mention the cost in spares. I've
done 4 sets of blades this week alone. Thank goodness I only buy the cheap ones from HK. Cheers

Slobberdog

even the cost of the cheap ones add up treff, me myself am not as apprehensive with the 130x as i am with the 450 but i love the size of the 450 and how it flys,

you will get there, one day it will just click and become easier it just getting to that point without pulling all your hair out, i think because i have not gone out to quick and just got the hovers down first that this has helped me, I have never flown before, so it was a learning curve a bit different from yours, not only are you learning the heli but you are also battling the mode change you have embarked on with your TX. you are doing ok just dont panic, just remember your friend is the air not the floor.

treff

Cheers Kev. I keep telling myself it will be all worth while in the end. LOL The problem is we will be living in a tent LOL

Top Bottom