General Tail servo??

concodd

My tail servo seems unresponsive, do tail servo's act differently to other servo's? because when you buy them, they specifically say tail servo's. When I put it on the centring tester it did not centre, even on auto it did not turn very much, same for the manual setting. Now that it is mounted on my 700, it is not responding when I apply rudder stick. Anyway I can test it?

pvolcko

Find the specs on it. Some tail servos have narrower center pulse widths and high frequency support to take advantage of their higher speeds and precision. I would not plug it into the rx/fbl unit until you gets the specs and program things to use it properly, to make sure you don't damage it.

concodd

Hi Paul, the specs as follows:-MKS HBL980 Brushless Titanium Gear Digital High Speed Servo (High Voltage)
[MKS-HBL980]

MKS HBL980 Brushless Titanium Gear Digital High Speed Servo (High Voltage)

Ideal to use as rudder servo on 600/700 helicopters as well as Compass Atom 6HV/7HV.

Specs:
Dead band: 0.0008ms (Default)
Control System: +Pulse Width Control
Working frequence: 760μs / 560hz
(RX) Required Pulse: 3.5~7.2 Volt Peak to Peak
Operating Voltage: 6.0~7.2 V DC Volts
Operating Temperature Range: -10 to + 60 Degree C
Operating Speed (6.0V): 0.04 sec/60° degrees at no load
Operating Speed (7.4V): 0.036 sec/60° degrees at no load
Stall Torque (6.0V): 62.5 oz in (4.5 kg-cm)
Stall Torque (7.4V): 77.77 oz in (5.6 kg-cm)
360° Modifiable: NO
Motor Type: Brushless Motor
Potentiometer Drive: Indirect Drive
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearings
Gear Type: Titanium Gears
Programmable: NO
Connector Wire Length: 24.0 cm (9.4")
Dimensions: 40x20x40mm (1.57x0.79x1.50")
Weight: 70.2g (2.48 oz)

concodd

I am doing my initial work with a 3s 11.1v battery, could this be a reason that the tail servo is not responding too well?

pvolcko

Working frequence: 760μs / 560hz

This is probably your culprit. What FBL/Gyro are you using? MAke sure you do not plug this servo in anymore until you have adjusted the setup on this FBL/gyro to the correct settings for this tail servo. IF your controller does not support 560hz, then you can use a lower frequency settign safely. But the 760us is the center pulse width and must be set to match the servo.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, assume when you say you're using a 3S pack that the servo and FBL/Gryo is being powered by a BEC that i stepping down the voltage? The most you can safely connect directly to this servo is 8.4v (fully charged 2S lipo) If you connected it (and your FBL/Gyro) to 3S directly you very possibly fried it.

pvolcko

I don't know if servo testers usually support narrow center pulse servos. You may need to get that 3gx setup in order to get it centered and the horn installed.

Tony

Staff member
Make sure to change that rudder servo to 760 BEFORE you hook the servo up. By default, it's set to 1520.

concodd

Hi Tony, when you say change the servo to 760, is that done in the 3gx setup? Also on the 1st or 2nd 3GX video set up you did you mentioned you had done other videos on head set up and swashplate levelling. Can you give me the link to them.
Cheers.

Tony

Staff member
Here is the 3GX videos. You want part 3 for the rudder setup.

And there are quite a few videos on setting up a head.

In this video, I believe I show how to setup a head. Yes, it's a clone, but it's the same.

How To Properly Build A Clone Helicopter - YouTube

And in this video, I do a complete flybar head setup.

Complete Flybar Head Setup - YouTube

Here is the head setup on my Align 450

Align 450 Pro V2 3GX Build Guide Part 8 Blade Pitch Setup - YouTube

Here is another one. This is an old video.

DX6i & CCPM Full Setup Guide Part 3 Binding, Adjusting Servos, Setting Up Head Links - YouTube

Hope this helps. ,

concodd

Hi Tony, started to watch your video's and intend to spend the day tomorrow doing the set up. Can you tell me if I should do all of the sub trim and levelling before I programme the 3GX or just turn on the 3GX and do the whole lot at once.

Top Bottom