500 Tail Servo Problem :(

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey everyone. I decided to take my 500 out to play today. It was almost a disaster
icon_e_surprised.gif
It was a little windy but nothing to bad. As I was flying I've notice that sometimes when I yaw left and try to yaw back right... it wouldn't yaw and visa versa
icon_e_confused.gif
I brought the heli down after getting control once again and checked everything out. It seem fine to me anyway. Just to be safe I increase the tail gyro a little bit because it was a bit sluggish. I know I shouldn't take her back up but I did
icon_redface.gif
The same thing happen and i finally came to my senses and brought her in before she crash. My tail servo is fairly old compare to my cyclic servos and was thinking if the tail servo was showing signs that it's going bad. I'm in the process of breaking her downing at the moment and going through everything while she's apart. My question is, i never had this problem before with the 500 and this is a new bad behavior she just develop. Does anyone might have an idea what could be the problem? I know there's a few things that could go wrong but maybe you can narrow it down a bit for me to check it out. I'm going to install a brand new KST 515MG servo that I had sitting around for awhile now. I'm all ears for any one suggestions. I would appreciated very much
icon_e_smile.gif

Tony

Staff member
My guess is the Align DS520. If that is the case, the pot is dirty and is exactly why I'm replacing all of my 520's with different servos.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I think is the DS520 like you mention. I do have a brand new KST DS515MG to match my cyclic KST 515MG.

Tony

Staff member
Not the fastest servo for the tail, but should do just fine. Are you running at 6 volts on the tail? If so, you are looking at a .07 sec transit time.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
OK then, if that's not a fast tail servo what do you recommend for both cyclic and tail servos? I'll just ordered new one's then. I'm a KST servo fan :)

Tony

Staff member
Don't get me wrong, those are fantastic for the cyclic. And if it was a few years ago, anything faster than .10 was smoking fast. That servo will do just fine. Stick it on there and you will have a great flight. But if you want the best, check out the BK servos lol. Pricey, but very fast. If you want chinese servos, I have one on the way right now that should be here in about a week or so that is pretty fast.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm not very pleased with the Chinese or ordering over sea at the moment. I'm still waiting on my Omnibus F4V2 FC for my 210 from Gearbest. Talking about slow boat... I think this one sank!

Tony

Staff member
I don't blame you there one bit Ivan. That quad took over a month to show up. I received the two batteries two weeks faster than the quad, and they came from the same facility.

Geena

Staff member
The BKs are the ones I have on my X3L. They are a little pricey for micro size servos, but worth it if you can swing it. The KSTs are great too though. I know a few guys who run them with no issues whatsoever.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, you are going to pay for BK, that's for sure. But they are the best out there right now.

Geena

Staff member
BKs are all I use. I have them on four helicopters, and two set of them have been with me since Bert released them. Never stripped a gear, and they are all still going strong. I have been tempted to try a set of those new Tesla servos though.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I finally got the fuselage of my 500 and the tail servo is the Align 525M not the 520. Could it still be dirty pot? I 'll just throw on the KST servo anyway.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, I believe it could still be the pot. Like with the 600 and the tail servo issue I'm facing on that one with the DS655, it's better safe than sorry. Just waiting for the right time (and courage to fly it) to order a new one lol.

Admiral

I'm running four KST515's on my 500 at 7.4 V they are rock solid, I really notice the change as I was running Turnigy Cyclic and Futaba Tail. They had been on there about 5 years.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Admiral. Yeah, I took the Align off and installed the KST in the 500 and my test flight will be tomorrow :). I do like the KST. All 3 of my birds have the servos in them.

murankar

Staff member
I run bk on both my birds. If you want something just as reliable but not as good go with the RJX servos. That's who makes the bk servos. Bert took the rjx and made his improvements to the servo and slapped his name on them.

Top Bottom