General Tail servo direction and Gyro set up

Lee

I have been asked countless times how to set up the tail servo and gyro, and how to know its correct before flying your helicopter. Well i decided to do a Video and mini write up of what you'll see if thing are set up in the correct or wrong way.

First lets check the servo is moving in the correct direction with stick input. Take the gyro out of the equation by plugging you rudder servo directly into the rudder port on your Receiver.
Looking at the leading edge of the tail blade, push you rudder stick to one side. The blades should point in the opposite direction.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If this is wrong, then change the rudder servo direction in your transmitter.

Ok now for the gyro, plugged back in to the rudder servo. When you push the tail with your finger in one direction the tail blades should turn to point in the opposite direction.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If they turn to point in the same direction as you are pushing, then switch the direction on your gyro

attachment.php

attachment.php

I hope this help some people. It does get confusing sometimes. I have made mistakes myself even after setting up many helicopters, so check and check again to be sure before the first flight.
If on first spool up the hell starts to spin rapidly then recheck your settings, as this is a sign of the gyro correcting in the wrong direction.

Happy Flying

Last edited by a moderator:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That's awesome lee. This is great!

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Great write up and very simple to follow. Sticking this one to the top of the forum in the section it's in.

Lee

I'm gonna do a few others like the ESC calibration, then we can maybe make a Generic set up sticky. Any others you can think of, i'll give them a go.

Tony

Staff member
I may put this into it's own category in the article section. Something this simple and laid out can help out a new member a LOT. Great job as stated before. I have been meaning to do some videos on this and I still will on the RCH Heli, it will just be a while.

Derek

This was a great write up. I'd be very interested in the ESC calibration.

I have a general idea, but I surely can't say that I "know" how to do it.

Tony

Staff member
ESC is pretty easy. Turn on Tx, raise throttle all the way up. Plug in ESC and wait for the first series of beeps (usually two consecutive). Once you hear the two beeps, lower throttle all the way. Then the ESC will initialize in the normal manner and you will have 0-100% throttle.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Tony align esc doesn't use that. When you put your stick all the way up in an align esc it goes in program mode.

In that mode while you are programming in your inputs esc will learn the positions. But going low throttle on the "first menu item" on esc might change what the stock settings are.

Align esc's don't require re calibrating.. While other esc's might. Depending on which one it is, process might be what tony said, or might be what align does.

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Tony

Staff member
That is correct Gaba and thank you for bringing that up. I was more referring to what most people on here are using, things like the Plush, HK, Exceed and so on ESC's. You know, the cheap ones lmao.

I'm sure Lee will dive head first into this and try to cover all bases on the matter :biggrin1:

Adam

I can still remember setting up my first helis tail.....I had both the gyro and direction backwards now that was but I I knew it right away. great detailef explanation lee.

yardner

:chuncky::chuncky::chuncky:Alright!!! with just a few pics and simple instructions you got my bird back in the air again. Thanks
Plus, i have know idea HOW my 3GX got reversed ????

Thanks for that Lee, of course my catastrophic crash was partly to blame on the tail rotor being wrong, stick left, and blade goes left....... Fixed now..

This is what us newbies need a collection of vids put in the one place so we can go through them all one at a time, I watched Tonys vid on setting up the blade pitch...

mooserider

You know, I wish I would have seen this a while back, it could have saved me some time. In Tony's 3GX setup videos, I noticed exactly this... I even have the same heli, a Trex 450 pro, and Tony talks about the way the slider moves. It's opposite from mine. But ultimately, you check the trailing edge when looking at the correction direction and that tells you if you're setup properly.

Top Bottom