450 Tail servo and gyro

Rico

Hi there, i have a storm 450 from china, i only had problems with so far.
now i finally fixed it but the tail is uncontrollable, I have an Align ds 420 servo, and it is like Buzzing all the time, is that normal ??
So if I need a new servo, witch one is good, and I have a storm Rock 5 gyro, is that any good ???

Lee

Buzzing is normal, it a digital servo, they all buzz. Just check the buzzing isn't because of some binding in the tail mechanics, otherwise don't worry.
Look at my gyro set up guide HERE to see why your tail is uncontrollable.

Rico

Thank you for a quick replay, that video help me a lot to understand that tail better.
I had to trim my ruder to +400, can I put that in to sub trim to get as close to zero as possible ??
yet again thank you for a good and understanding video :)

Lee

+400 seems a lot. Did you remove your servo arm and place it as close to 90º as you could before using any trim?

Tony

Staff member
As stated, put your trims and subtrims back to 0 and try some different servo arms to get as close to 90 as you can. Once you are as close as you can get, then and only then will you use subtrim. If you are using a MEMS gyro, you will NEVER touch subtrim again.

Rico

Hi there, sorry for the late replay, but I have been trying to fix that tail.
and now it is complete out of track, I tried to upload some pic's but the page wont allow them :(

here is a list on how I do it.

1: disconnect motor

2: disconnect gyro and plug servo directly in ruder port

3: turn on transmitter

4: connect battery

5 check 90 degree on tail servo ( OK )

6: see if blades are straight ( OK ) as far as I can see.

And then I take it out to fly and it is spinning clockwise, and I try to trim it, but I think I trim so much that I cant control it, I try gyro sens 50% 60% 65% and 70%.
And on the gyro the limit is around 90, ds is on and dir is on too.

By the way sub trim and trim is set to 0, when I adjust the servo.

I hope that you can make some sense out of all this, and one last thing, I had the tail of the helli to change the tail boom.

Greetings Rico

Lee

Are you adjusting the Gyro sens on the Gyro or in the transmitter?
Try putting the gyro in Rate mode (35% approx) then get the heli light on the skids. See how much rudder you need to keep it straight, the move the servo up or down the boom to negate the use of rudder. Once you have this, switch it back up to Head hold gain (65% approx) and see if it holds any better.

Tony

Staff member
Like Lee stated, leave the servo plugged into the gyro. Some gyros will have a different center than the Rx will. Not sure why, could have to do with the band settings. But try what he said, it's the way I do it.

Rico

Hi again, I adjust the gyro on the transmitter, I set it down to 30 % now, and there is a nob ( A:ch6 H:ch5 ) I turned that all the way to the left, and to morrow I will tighten the heli to a turn table, then I can do it indoor, we have a lot of wind and rain here now :)

But I can see that if I turn the heli around now with those settings, the tail reacts it goes left and right, is that normal ??

Greetings Rico :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again, I adjust the gyro on the transmitter, I set it down to 30 % now, and there is a nob ( A:ch6 H:ch5 ) I turned that all the way to the left, and to morrow I will tighten the heli to a turn table, then I can do it indoor, we have a lot of wind and rain here now :)

But I can see that if I turn the heli around now with those settings, the tail reacts it goes left and right, is that normal ??

By the way, I found out why the servo buzz all the time, the tail shaft was bend just a little bit, I could hear it on the brass bush when I moved the tail around, so I change that and now it is only buzzing when I moved the tail :)

Lee

The tail should react to you moving the heli around. Just has to react in the correct way to stop the tail, not make it worse. Maybe the binding tail shaft was the whole problem in the first place with the heli spinning around.

Rico

well I have been messing with that tail all weekend, I found out that the belt was turned the wrong way, so that is fixe, the tail rotor have to go the other direction of the main rotor LOL
and then I read online that the storm rock 5 gyro isn't good, there will all ways be a little drift, but I can live with that :)

now for the head hold, I cant seem to figure out how to put it in H H, in my transmitter I have two options one called norma and one called avcs, no matter witch one I use I can't make H H, I made a bench where I tight up the heli, and if i push the tail it just stay in that position I leave it, do you know what settings I can do wrong here ??

Westy

LEGEND
Hi .... great that you figured out your belt was round the wrong way ... very common issue that is overlooked. What radio are you using?

and what is your current Gyro gain setting..... how have you got your plugs into the rudder channel. rudder servo must plug into the gyro and then the gyro plugs into channel 4 with the 3 wire lead and channel 5 with the single wire at the top to match all the other signal wires on the other servos plugged into the Receiver. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rico

hi again, I am using a WFLY WFT07H, and in gyro sens settings I have MODE NORMA, MIX ON, POSI NORMA, RATE 35,5%
then I have a menu called advanced, in there I have a setting called governor mixing, and the settings are, MIX ON, and RATE NORMAL +50,0% and IDL +50% too.
is that ok ???
I tried to put on another gyro I had, it is a futaba gy401, I read online that the storm rock 5 gyro isn't good, it will drift a little, so I took the gyro from my logo 10.

A bout the wires, I have my gyro in channel 4, and the yellow wirer in channel 7, and on the transmitter it says + - and a U in a circle, where the yellow wirer is in the in the circle U, so I hope that it is right hehe

I tried to upload some pictures but the page wont upload them, it would be a lot easier if you could see what I am doing :(

Greetings Rico

Rico

well, I finally set up that tail, it is rock solid in bench, when I'm done charging the batteries I will take it out for a test fly.
it seems to run very well with the futaba gy401 gyro, I tried to push the tail a bit, and it jump strait back to where it was.
so I really want to thank all the people who helped me with that tail :)

Greetings Rico

Top Bottom