FBL Gyro tail rudder setup

I'm hoping that this is the last question that i will have for the main setup befor taking it outside to fine tune it.Thanks to Tony's CCPM setup video's i have three quarters of the heli ready to take ouside to fine tune.The problem now is the tail rudder.
The gyro that I have is a heading lock gyro.I understand what that means what what the main perpose of it is.I dont need to reverse it. The problem is the tail blades are always at a 45 degress angle and will not stay at a 90 degree.Also When i move the rudder stick to the right..it does move right but when i (let go sort of speek) stop rudder input,it slowly goes back all the way to the left.Is there a way to center the rudder.Dont care if it is actualy doing something to the heli or it is in a setting in the dx6i.If it is in the DX6I setting what , where,and how do i change it to work the way it is suppose to

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Why gyro is this? And coupled with what tail servo?

If after tail rudder input from tx the tail moves to one direction but SLOWLY returns left extreme (in align gp780 gyro) , the gyro os either not initialized right, or it's gyro lead to the rx is plugged at the wrong port in rx, or that the gyro thinks your tail servo is analog while it's digital or vice versa..

Check all this.. See what happens.
Hope it helps

Tony

Staff member
When the gyro is in HH mode, it will always drift, and will not stay centered when it's just sitting on the ground. It's trying to counter the movement you have given the helicopter, but since the blades are not spinning, it just keeps advancing the pitch on the tail blades. the gyro doesn't know the heli is not flying, it just knows it's not pointing the the direction it's supposed to.

stick the gyro in Rate mode to center everything and set the end points, then switch back over to HH mode when you are ready to fly.

the only thing that i see on it is heading lock gyro.and according to the book it says for the wire connector part connect to CH4, gyro gain connect to CH5. the wire as i said before the only two slot free on the receiver is batt/bind and gear slot,the rest are used with the proper connections for thoddle,aileron,elev, and aux1,and rudder

zenmetsu

If you are in HH mode and give right rudder input, for example, the gyro knows that the helicopter should rotate to the right. Since the heli is sitting on the ground, and the tail rotor is not spinning, there is no reaction from the model. As a result, as far as the gyro knows, a gust of wind came up and countered all of your stick input and the gyro will continue to hold the blades in a position to yaw right until a certain amount of rotation is obtained.

You can center the tail rotor pitch by simply flipping the gyro into rate mode from the radio. You can then immediately flip the gyro back into HH mode and the tail pitch will remain centered until you provide stick input. Most gyros will lock to the current heading when they are placed into HH mode (this includes power-up).

If you are simply trying to center the servo horn and tail slider, you will want to be operating in rate mode. You can bypass the gyro entirely if the gyro lacks a rate mode; just plug the tail servo into the rudder channel on the receiver.

A lot of gyros use gain (the single wire going to CH5) to trigger a mode switch between rate and HH mode. Basically the math works like this for most: subtract 50 from your gain setting in the transmitter, then multiply by two, with negative results being rate mode and positive results being heading lock mode.
For example, if you set gyro rate to 25%, you'd subtract 50 to get -25%, then multiply by two to get -50%. This would be a 50% gain setting in rate mode. Try setting your radio gyro rate below 30% and see if the gyro's light goes off.

Here is what has happened
1) I tryed the option of bringing the gyro lower then 30% and was told to put it at 25%.I tryed that and there was no change.I even went to 5% and it was still the same
2) played with the "limit" on the gyro and that fixed the problem, with the slider going all the way to one side
3) I put the "rate" setting back to 30% and the slider moved all the way to the left ,to the end of the slider.I then took the setting to 48.5% and the rudder returned to almost center again
4) Now all i have to do is the final fin tuning on the gyro first.Get it setup perfectly
5) once the weekend gets here will be heading to the local hobby store to pick up a few tools and spend the weekend leveling tuning and setting up the final settings,so i then go outside and do the sub trim type of fine tuning

Tony

Staff member
Anything below 50 is Rate mode. None of us that have been flying for a while would suggest flying in that mode. Always fly above 50. I start every build out at 65% and go from there.

I know that. I just spent a good amount of money on the heli, I just want EVEYTHING to work the way it is suppose to. I will be flying in hh mode.i'm the kind of person that wants everything working the way it is suppose to, even if I don't use all that it can

Top Bottom