General Tail pitch

Topgun73

Guys im wondering about my tail on my falcon 450. I think the gyro isn't working so I've ordered a new one. I have checked the direction as per Lees video and all good. The problem I'm getting is the heli wants to start spinning on spool up. Other than replacing the gyro , what else should I do? Do I set gyro up to have zero pitch or put some in using the control rod?

trainrider06

It may be a mechanical issue. Binding in the linkage, or even a crappy servo.
Or even rarely the gyro.
As long as your 100% sure the tail is set up correctly, mechanical is the only other reason. Also check and make sure tail shaft isn't bent. It may move back and forth ok without power, but as soon as power is supplied it'll hang up on ya.

Smoggie

Yeah, triple check that the tail gyro compensation is the correct direction, this is the number one most likely cause. Maybe you could post a video of the heli being turned by hand and showing the response? If it's belt drive it's also easy to have the tail rotor spin backward which will effectively make the gyro comp wrong.

Vibrations is a possible cause. it the heli has bad vibes the gyro wont work.

Last edited:

Topgun73

Thanks guys, I'll take a look over the weekend, I do think that the gyro is a little rubbish, Also on these Art tech gyros the red LED is constant so cant tell if in HH or rate mode which is a little anoying. I'll wait for the new gyro and see if that helps. Also regarding tail shaft took it out and rolled along mirror and was straight and not bent so not that. im confident that it's the rubbish gyro not working right. With regards to servo thats brand new so defo not that.

KLA

The servo could also need to be reversed. Other than that it sounds like the gyro compensation direction is backwards.

trainrider06

You can sometimes find those Spartan Quark gyro's, they are hands down the best gyro for holding and setup being easy. Love em!

Topgun73

cracked it, new gyro turned up today installed it and i had exactly the same problem......... However, after going through everything I decided to look at my settings on the radio. it turns out I had set the HH and Rate mode values the wrong way round. Rookie mistake but at least I've worked it out. Now I have sorted this one out I can maiden it. Better check the 550 I just built to make sure I haven't done it on that too.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

KLA

Well, at least it is working as it should. Post up some pictures or videos if you get a chance.

Topgun73

I don't know mate new to this with helis, anyway it's working now and so I guess I'll try a hover tonight when I'm finished work. 13/09 and come back to you all with the results. Fingers crossed.

Topgun73

Holding off maiden as chickened out and ordered some training wheels LOL So i'll do once fitted. Won't bother with the big bird I think If I can get to grips with the 450 a 550 should be a P.O.P

Topgun73

[video=youtube_share;wxrt3AyWAvo]https://youtu.be/wxrt3AyWAvo[/video]
So I have been able to see this little 450 falcon fly. Needed some serious setting up and with the help of you guys and the help of others I now have a heli to fly and practice with before I unleash the 550 clone.

Topgun73

Thanks Tony we think that the little wag we have is caused by the training gear, as when she gets into clean air it stops. Plus wind was a little gusty for it. We also had to put a fair bit of right trim on the radio as wanted to drift. I'll take a look at the tail in day or so and see if I cant adjust that out mechanically.

Topgun73

rewire 1.jpgrewire 2.jpg
So I bit the bullet and bought a Sparton quark. and rewired the heli at the same time. Set up was so simple and I've been told these gyros are the dogs danglies.

rewire 1.jpg

rewire 2.jpg

trainrider06

I love the quark! Have used those on 250-500 size heli's and they are the best one out there in my opinion hands down!
Setup easy, and they are locked and loaded when flying!
I have 2 of those itchin to be mounted! One is brand new never used!
The Sparten DS760 is awesome also, but it can be tricky to set up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom