450 Tail hunt during circuits

Dirk

I flew some fast circuits today. Damn, this 450 is super! Tracks as if on rails.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the tail starts hunting fast during the circuit. You can't so much see at as you can hear it.

I have set up my gyro gain adjustment on the left trim of my DX8. I have trimmed it down to about 45% during flight which makes it better. I am scared of going down further in case it starts doing funny things during the hover. Tail is still rock solid with absolute no slop in the tail linkages at all.

Should I worry about it?

I was really surprised by how high this 450 can go up after pulling up verical to do a stall turn. Awesome.

I am sooooo tempted to try a loop tomorrow! I can do it perfectly on the Phoenix, but it does't cost a thing if things goes south on the sim, but in real life? Let's see tomorrow.

xokia

I flew some fast circuits today. Damn, this 450 is super! Tracks as if on rails.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the tail starts hunting fast during the circuit. You can't so much see at as you can hear it.

I have set up my gyro gain adjustment on the left trim of my DX8. I have trimmed it down to about 45% during flight which makes it better. I am scared of going down further in case it starts doing funny things during the hover. Tail is still rock solid with absolute no slop in the tail linkages at all.

Should I worry about it?

I was really surprised by how high this 450 can go up after pulling up verical to do a stall turn. Awesome.

I am sooooo tempted to try a loop tomorrow! I can do it perfectly on the Phoenix, but it does't cost a thing if things goes south on the sim, but in real life? Let's see tomorrow.
If you decide to do it don't hesitate follow it through. It will go over easily its when you don't fully commit that you get yourself in trouble.

Lee

The wagging will be caused by the fact you are now moving fast, so putting more stress on the tail. So your gyro becomes more sensitive. Set your Gyro gain with a few different settings. 45% is quite high on a DX8. My warp is at 27%. Maybe set 40% and 35% to see how they feel.

Dirk

Thanks for that Lee. I will turn the gain down lower still and see how it goes. Will give you guys feedback tomorrow.

Tony

Staff member
As stated, FFF and FRF will cause the gyro to wag the tail more than just a tail stop. Also as Lee stated, 45% is really high for a DX8.

Dirk

Okay, turned the gyro gain down to 30%. Perfect! No more wagging during circuits and holding perfectly still in a hover.

Top Bottom