450 Tail drift

DAL2855

Banned
The tail on my Align 450 DFC pro keeps wanting to drift to the right for some odd reason. What's the best way to cure this issue guys? Adjust the linkage rod a little or should I be making some adjustments in the FBL Gyro?

Tony

Staff member
the tail goes right, or the nose points right? If the tail is going to the right, then you need more thrust out of the tail blades. Best way is to either adjust the linkage, or slide the servo down the tail if you can. If this is a Pro and has the 520 size servo, then the linkage is your only option.

It's best to keep 0 sub trim, but sometimes you need to use it to center the horn to the linkage. Once you do this, if you are using a MEMS gyro, you will have to go through the setup again and adjust your endpoints.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah Tony, it's a Pro with the 520 tail servo, and am using the Tarot ZYX FBL gyro on it. So yeah will adjust the linkage a little and see how she flies tomorrow! Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
Make sure your slider on the tail shaft is directly in the center. There should be equal amounts of shaft on each side. This will give you a bit of right thrust to counter the head torque.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah but Jesse, when I turn the head speed up by using the throttle curve, it makes the bird almost uncontrollable. That's why I had to turn the throttle curve way down.

Lee

In the ZYX menu there is a tail compensation section. But this should be the last thing to try after setting the tail blades to give some counter active torque.

heli-maniac

Yeah but Jesse, when I turn the head speed up by using the throttle curve, it makes the bird almost uncontrollable. That's why I had to turn the throttle curve way down.
If it is uncontrollable for you with the higher head speed then you need to not move the sticks as much
Use the expo it is your friend in this case
The bird is not the problem it is the gyro settings

Tony

Staff member
For testing, set your throttle curve to 0 40 75 75 75. this will give you a flat curve when you are in the air and give you a decent HS to stabilize the heli. then go in and set 70% DR and +35% expo. This will help calm the heli down. If your collective is too touchy, then lower the Pitch in the Swash Mix down by 5% and try again.

DAL2855

Banned
Ok Tony I tried your recommendations for the throttle curve and D/R and Expo and had to dial the expo up to 50 to get it where I liked it, but it worked great! The bird is alot more stable in a hover. Still has a slight drift to the right though, I dunno if I should adjust the tail linkage or dial the throttle curve up a tad bit more.

Tony

Staff member
as I asked before, are you talking about tail right, or nose right? Either way, adjust the linkage to remove it. the ZYX, although one of the better knockoff gyros, is still a knockoff and it will not be 100% stable.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah tail is drifting to the right not the nose going to the right, I constantly have to input left rudder to hold it straight.

Tony

Staff member
You need to add more pitch to force more air out to the right. Face your trailing edge of the blades just a little more to the right. Keep making 1 turn changes until it's gone. Make sure you are in HH mode and make sure you have a solid light on the gyro.

Top Bottom