450 Tail Boom

Sidik Hartono

Dear All:
my helicopter KDS 450QS crashed yesterday, need to replace tail boom...
but no one sells tail boom for KDS 450QS
the size of the tail boom is a bit strange... the diameter is bigger than usual...
13mm x 14mm x 357mm

Does anyone know the clone type?
because I checked, on the market the average tail boom size: 11mm x 12mm x 347mm
or
11mm x 12mm x 375mm

The tail boom which is a bit small can't be attached to the tail boom bracket

Any idea?

RandyDSok

Ok... I can't vouch for the hobby shop I'm about to link to ... but they do list having parts available. The next issue to consider may be shipping, everything is being delayed since the pandemic and may result in a long delay itself. Please note this is a pretty old model and finding parts even for a name brand ( KDS is not a high end name brand ) on older models is usually a problem without the added issues that the pandemic has brought along... in short, you may want to stock up on some extra's or start considering a newer released model that may have better parts availability later on.

The tail boom is listed here... KDS 450SD/ BD / QS tail boom (2 pcs) 1102-SD

KDS-450QS parts they carry are listed here... kds 450QS parts

Sidik Hartono

Ok... I can't vouch for the hobby shop I'm about to link to ... but they do list having parts available. The next issue to consider may be shipping, everything is being delayed since the pandemic and may result in a long delay itself. Please note this is a pretty old model and finding parts even for a name brand ( KDS is not a high end name brand ) on older models is usually a problem without the added issues that the pandemic has brought along... in short, you may want to stock up on some extra's or start considering a newer released model that may have better parts availability later on.

I've asked 12 hobby shops including those that are outside the city in my country in Indonesia
And also the hobby shop, which usually has the most complete KDS spare parts, they said that since the pandemic they haven't imported any more goods... so, many items have been empty for a long time...

Yes, I know online shop in China,
like: Monkey Hobby; MyRcMart,
they have stock of KDS spare parts
Because I've already sent an email to ask them about stock
But the problem is delivery must use courier service (DHL / TNT / Fedex)
for a minimum package delivery price of 0.5 Kg from China to Indonesia USD 150, while the price of the item is only USD 5 (for 2 pieces)

My Aeromodelling friend said, the fastest way is clone with other brands parts

New problem coming, for all helicopter brands (Align / Clone / Walkera / Blade / E-Sky / etc) most helicopters with size 450 the tail boom inner diameter 11mm x outer 12mm
I don't understand with KDS made difference...

Sidik Hartono

I have a friend who has a suggestion:

1. You can use a small Tail Boom, but the Tail unit assembly has to be replaced too... And then, the old tail boom takes about 5 cm and cut it,
Then the new tail boom which a smaller diameter put insert into the 5 cm tube and put glue to make it strong , now the tail boom can fit into the helicopter frame.
2. Or the second method, make your own tail boom using a carbon fiber tube with the same diameter

Any good suggestion?

RandyDSok

I gave you the best I had and what I found... if you don't like it, then it's up to you to decide what other direction you take. If you already had known there were shipping issues, perhaps you should have mentioned that next time so someone else won't suggest something you already know has problems. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Top Bottom