General Tail blade size ?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
A Goblin 500 and a Gaui X5 uses some where around 84mm tail blade. My Gaui X3 uses some where around 62/68mm tail blade. My question is; Can I use a 82mm tail blade on my Gaui X3 instead of the 62/68mm? My main blade size on the X3 is 362mm. I don't think the tail and main blades will hit. I've heard if you can go with a bigger tail blade, that is recommended, you will have better response/reaction with your heli. Just wanting to know.

heli-maniac

82 may not fit in the tail blade grips on the X3 Thats more of a 550 tail blade
but you can get70/ 72 that may fit that is the 500 size

Last edited:

Derek

This is just my opinion....I wouldn't even bother with changing tail blade size. To me, it's just asking for trouble. If you are looking to get more tail response from your X3, perhaps lower your rudder expo.

Smoggie

I'd also not even consider putting significantly bigger blades on. The hub and tail shaft aren't designed for the weight of those bigger blades, especially when spinning at the higher RPM that a 450 size heli runs at compared to a 500/550. It would be asking for trouble IMHO, and for no benefit unless perhaps you wanted to run ultra low headspeed where you might need more tail power at low RPM.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you gentleman for your opinions. After reading theses answer you'll posted, I'm just keeping the recommended tail size blade instead. Thanks again! for your help.:)

murankar

Staff member
Not only all that you will have tuning issues along with the possible blade strike between the mains and tail. The bigger the tail blade is the more power you will rob from the head. Then there is the width of the blades to account for. Wider blades that are 62mm will move about the same air as longer blades with less width. Its a balancing act between tail performance and power to the mains. The Zeal tail blades for the X3 work just fine and I would not consider going bigger at this point. I dont really have that need yet.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure what URI meant when he said "width" but there are two of them that people could think of. You have the Root and the Chord. The root is the thickness of the blade where it goes into the grips and the Chord is the length from leading to trailing edge. Then you have the overall length. Hope this clears things up.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm not sure what URI meant when he said "width" but there are two of them that people could think of. You have the Root and the Chord. The root is the thickness of the blade where it goes into the grips and the Chord is the length from leading to trailing edge. Then you have the overall length. Hope this clears things up.

Sure does clean things up:thankyou: To save me a headache:argue: I'll just order the size that is recommended for the heli and be done with it:yahoo:.

Tony

Staff member
just who the heck are you pal? the spell police! :biggrin1::threadjacked::poke:

His spelling is fine, His definition was off. Cord is a real word lmao. But "Chord" is the CORRECT word hahaha. And I knew that was coming.

And to the OP, I only use stock tail blades. don't buy into the hype that larger blades are better unless you are just flat out laying the smack down. And even those pilots are running stock length blades. They just go from plastic to carbon fiber for a more locked in and crisp feel.

murankar

Staff member
The only time tail blade size matters is when your dealing with lower than optimal headspeeds. You have 2 choices in this situation: 1) Speed the tail up or 2) Change make the blades bigger whether its chord or length. If your not trying to go low head speed stick with stock sizes +/- a couple mm.

Top Bottom