General Tachometer

Matt

Question, what is a good tachometer? I've done some research and found there is a iPhone app called helitach and an Android app called heliheadspeed..

Would I be better off ordering a $14 tachometer from Amazon? Or would the $3.99 helitach be good?

The $14 tachometer from Amazon is one of those laser tachometer's.. I think it is used in other applications besides heli's..

iPhone app or $14 laser tachometer.. What's better?

Matt

Thanks, the Magic Mirror Tach is (I think) what I think I should get because it’s made just for this Hobby

Found this video on YouTube.. super cool

Admiral

murankar

Staff member
Just use caution with any tach. Some guy a number of years ago lost a finger or two using a tach. As of late I have been relying on my esc and vbar to solve that.

Hobbywing and kontronic have set the standard for a great governor. Ikon and vbar have set it for external governor.

Geena

Staff member
Any time you use a tach ( for a helicopter) it`s a two person operation. One hovers the helicopter...or spools it up on the ground, and the other guy takes the readings.

Geena

Staff member
I have never used a tach, maybe I should lol.

I don`t use mine much either. I mainly use it when someone else wants to know their head speed. I treat head speed, and pitch the way I treat any other setting in the helicopter. I adjust them until the helicopter flies the way I want it to fly, and it sounds happy.

Matt

Any time you use a tach ( for a helicopter) it`s a two person operation. One hovers the helicopter...or spools it up on the ground, and the other guy takes the readings.

Another way to do it is this way.. lol.. I'm thinking bad habits are hard to break.. lol.. Safety is #1 priority..

Matt

The right way to do it would be to have one person fly the heli, then the second person would get the headspeed.. that would be the right way to do it, and the safe way to do it..

Alternatively, setting the governor and stuff like that would be the 2nd best option..

Top Bottom