Quad T380 Obsolete already? I need some suggestions.

Wreck-a-copter

Howdy fellow humans,

I have a tale to tell. My dilemma worsens with every passing day. So here goes.

I've only been interested in helicopters and flying things for about a year. I was hooked by the little syma three channel toys. As soon as I began watching the market I was aware that I was observing an explosion in this field. Hardly any Quads were evident on the market a year ago. Now I noticed the other day, Syma is offering quads.
I spent hours watching u tube videos and learning everything I could. My first Quad was a Blade mQX and I loved it. I subscribed to Alishanmao's channel and watched him grow his little business from being a reviewer, to being a mover in the development of FPV. For a while there, he was so Quad focused, his fans started complaining that he was not doing anything else. He went to Ti land , to demo quads to the Army. So I was staying on the leading edge of the wave when I bought my first T380. Alishanmao gave me a bit of a discount for some tunes I sent for him to use if he wanted, in his video developments. He hasn't used them, but still, I got a bit off the top. And I really was impressed with it. My Son has a video production company and I took the T380 with him on some real estate shoots and he was able to use some of my arial shots. It was there, In Cheyenne Wyoming, where I made a pretty bad crash happen, and learned all about prop nuts flying off and the out-runner following close behind and pulling the top bearing out and slinging it somewhere far from where it landed. So I ordered a couple of spare motors, and more blades and a bunch of bearings and installed them as soon as they arrived. Taking care of the prop nuts was the first thing I did. I double nutted them all. Problem solved. But the motors still came apart pretty easily. I should say here, that, I wasn't a bad quad flyer, but I was bad at bringing it down without bouncing it on it's top. So after it's purchase, and the receiver and battery and transmitter I figured I had about 400 dollars invested. And the price of the T380, in that time, was down to 199 dollars. So In Cheyenne, I crashed it hard enough that something electrical wasn't working. Nobody around there knew anything about them. It was the first one the hobby shop guy had seen. I had no way of knowing what was not working. It's symptoms were that the motors kind of took turn working and it wouldn't fly. Considering the cost of replacing both boards, I chose to buy another T380 and use the first one for parts.
I don't want to discuss what stupid thing I did to burn out the boards on the new one. But I did. And I watched my wife's jaws tighten when I told her it was only going to cost another bit over a hundred dollars to get it flying again. Tight jaws notwithstanding, I ordered them and installed them and spooled it up but I couldn't fly it. I changed receivers and it acted the same way. It something different nearly every time. So I'd hold it in my hand and spool it up and work the cyclics. It seemed to be reacting properly. Forward, Back, Port and Starboard, but just holding it steady and working the throttle it was just unsteady. If I made it wobble by hand, it responded to that as if the gyro was working. Holding it steady, it felt like little power surges now and then, especially at full throttle.

So in summary, it won't lift straight up and you can pinch the controls hard and lean your body to try to counter act the direction its trying to go, which isn't always the same way. If I just goose it it pops up and flops right over. I quit trying things after breaking a couple of props.

I have thought that maybe it's something I have overlooked in installing the boards. Do they need something done to them. I have a DX6i transmitter and it flew the others right out of the box, but maybe the others had done something to the boards that I don't know about before they shipped.

If any of you have some helpful hints, I'd appreciate knowing of them. Alishanmao sent me a video of how to reset my esc's. I didn't know you could do that, or needed to, so hopefully there is something else I didn't know.

I'm going to try to include a little video clip of the way it acts, and I know,---it acts like the flyer doesn't know how to fly, but I learned to fly all my aircraft in just that small area, and to take it out into an open area, results in no difference.

Finally, Here is the dilemma. If I am going to have to spend much, like getting another set of new boards, perhaps I should just build something new with all the altitude lock, and the GPS hold features and build something onto what I have. Or out of what I have. I could build an octacopter with all the stuff I have. If I had time. Since I retired 3 or four years ago, I've never been busier. I've got so much stuff I want to do, that I'm not sure I'm up to a big project in the middle of everything else. Alishanmao started producing T380's with his FPV equipment and was selling them pretty well, when he turned to building his own, and those have really taken off. So to speak. He no longer mentions the T380.

Well, I think I have given you enough information to have some kind of idea about what I should do. (Probably counseling would help) Thanks for your time.

Wyoming

Well, I tried to download that clip and it took about fifteen minutes of trying to upload it, it decided that it was an invalid file type. It's a quick time video. So I'll try another thing.

unstable quad exp - YouTube

OK, I think that's how you can see the clip on Utube. Supposedly no one that doesn't see this url won't see it listed.

Thanks again guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, lookie there! there it is! Thats really a nice quad when it behaves.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought that maybe the number of beeps wasn't the same as the ones that fly, but I can't remember for sure.

Lee

I don't know anything about the t380, but i'm pretty sure as Alishanmao told you, you need to re calibrate the ESCs. Somewhere in your instructions for the quad board, it should explain how to calibrate them. I will investigate and let you know if you don't find out before me.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the pdf manual if you don't have it. No mention of ESC calibration here. http://www.himodel.com/manual/T380_quakcopter.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Found this

Last edited by a moderator:

Tasajara

I know this may be a mute point, but you did get the main board that has the gyros mounted in the Same position as the one you took off.
If the board is not in the right Orientation it will act crazy. The esc's also need to spin up at the same time. It does look like one is lagging behind.

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I had a similar problem. Make sure your motors are spinning in the right direction! If not they will flip right over!

Lee

Check your motors are plugged in the correct way, before all this.
As Craig said, the motors are starting up at different times. This could be the calibration issue i mentioned above, or a damaged ESC. To discover if an ESC or motor is damaged, swap the esc to another arm. If the problem follows the ESC, then thats the problem. If the problem stays the same, then its either a motor issue or a board issue. You can then swap two motors, again see of the problem follows the motor or stays the same. To know if its a board issue, you may be able to turn the board and mount it facing backwards, replug in the motors so the board recognises motor 1,2,3,4 in the correct orientation. The fly it as if the front is now the back. If the problem follows the board, then your board is at fault.
Hope this helps.

Wreck-a-copter

That's a good suggestion. It's been a couple of months since I was working with it and I can see how I could get the new bottom board mis oriented.
I had a lagging problem before that started out lagging like that, then picking up. It got worse till I discovered that I has severed a wire where the board meets the tubes. I think it was against a sharp edge of the board. Banging it around like I was doing for that video could be doing the same.
Be what it may, my wife just found the new mobile home for us. That means digging out the Airstream and moving it out and putting in a palatial park model! I can't believe it. But my new chore is going to back-shelf the T380 again. I was getting excited to think about getting it flying again. Maybe soon.
Thanks for the fresh thoughts.

Wyoming

wolfman76

is very helping to me also i have a motor that lags like that i think it is same motor each time but i will throttle up it lags i throttle off then throttle back up and it works like it is suppose with no problems.....not sure but i think that might have sumthin to do with crash mine had...

Top Bottom