500 T-Rex 500 DONE

Well, i FINALLY got the ikon2 setup. I mustve spents 6 hours getting it finalized and walked through it one last time. I was fighting blade pitch being 1 degree more on one blade when i KNOW i was at 0 center so i called IKON. Great customer service, he told me to check one blade only. I also had to move the ball links in on all 3 servos to get 12 degrees and not be in the red. Apparently 3GX likes them further out. After all this, switch assignments, etc i think im done. Im almost afraid to fly it.

Bailout was working but i dont understand the logistics, does it go off of zero pitch during setup? Is it calculated throughout setup?

So i put the 500 in the air for its maiden flight. Wow, what a difference from micros!!

Heres what i noticed, maybe i can get some feedback

#1 Failsafe seemed to worked but it drifted left, how is this corrected. Didnt drift ALOT, but a slight drift

#2 No matter how i changed the throttle curve, the head speed seemed to stay the same. At full collective it was a slow ascend. Maybe i need a new battery? Maybe its something in the setup, or ????

After i flew that i put the Blade 230S up, Very quick to collective inputs. 5X faster than the 500 and i KNOW that aint right.

The 500 hovered well, stunt modes seemed to change as well as bank modes. Just head speed issues as well as drift

trainrider06

Well, i FINALLY got the ikon2 setup. I mustve spents 6 hours getting it finalized and walked through it one last time. I was fighting blade pitch being 1 degree more on one blade when i KNOW i was at 0 center so i called IKON. Great customer service, he told me to check one blade only. I also had to move the ball links in on all 3 servos to get 12 degrees and not be in the red. Apparently 3GX likes them further out. After all this, switch assignments, etc i think im done. Im almost afraid to fly it.

Bailout was working but i dont understand the logistics, does it go off of zero pitch during setup? Is it calculated throughout setup?
I would think that zero pitch would have a part of something to do with it for the units reference point to go from, then applying the proper degree pitch when bailout is selected. Because once you enter bailout mode the unit would need a central start point as well where top and level would be. At least that's my reckoning.

trainrider06

So i put the 500 in the air for its maiden flight. Wow, what a difference from micros!!

Heres what i noticed, maybe i can get some feedback

#1 Failsafe seemed to worked but it drifted left, how is this corrected. Didnt drift ALOT, but a slight drift

#2 No matter how i changed the throttle curve, the head speed seemed to stay the same. At full collective it was a slow ascend. Maybe i need a new battery? Maybe its something in the setup, or ????

After i flew that i put the Blade 230S up, Very quick to collective inputs. 5X faster than the 500 and i KNOW that aint right.

The 500 hovered well, stunt modes seemed to change as well as bank modes. Just head speed issues as well as drift

It sounds like it's in stability mode.
The drift may be a mechanical thing like a link needed tweaking.
When you set that up did you have to level the heli?

Smoggie

Some drift when in stability mode is not unusual. The 'issue' is that the stability mode keeps the heli perfectly upright, but for a heli to hover stationary it has to lean slightly to the right. Some controllers allow you to program in a slight offset in the stability mode to set some right tilt. I'm not sure how the iKon does it.

As for the collective response. The 500 Pro should be 'ballistic', so it sounds like your RPM is too low. Did you calibrate the ESC to your Tx throttle range?

As for the collective response. The 500 Pro should be 'ballistic', so it sounds like your RPM is too low. Did you calibrate the ESC to your Tx throttle range?
You mean through tbe setup wizard? Yes, done.

I may walk through all of the steps, i did skip govererno mode because i dont believe the ikon2 has a governor.

Smoggie

No, ESC calibration cant be done through the FBL setup wizard, it's done with the ESC itself. Read the ESC manual, the usual process is to put the Tx throttle to 100%, then power on the heli (it wont start), wait for some beeps, then fully close the throttle and get the usual arming beeps.
This process ensures that the ESC recognised both the fully open and fully closed throttle positions. if you dont do a calibration the ESC may not be going to full throttle.

PS.. i'm sure the ikon does have a governor, in fact if there was a governor setup screen in the wizard then it must have. But you would need an RPM input from the ESC or a seperate sensor to use it, so probably leave that for another day.

Last edited:
No, ESC calibration cant be done through the FBL setup wizard, it's done with the ESC itself. Read the ESC manual, the usual process is to put the Tx throttle to 100%, then power on the heli (it wont start), wait for some beeps, then fully close the throttle and get the usual arming beeps.
This process ensures that the ESC recognised both the fully open and fully closed throttle positions. if you dont do a calibration the ESC may not be going to full throttle.

PS.. i'm sure the ikon does have a governor, in fact if there was a governor setup screen in the wizard then it must have. But you would need an RPM input from the ESC or a seperate sensor to use it, so probably leave that for another day.
You're right, i have not done this. Can this be done while the heli is assembled? Do i just disconnect the main motor?

Smoggie

Yes it can be (and is normally) done with the heli assembled. There is no need to disconnect anything in fact you must leave the motor connected otherwise you won't hear any beeps. If you are nervous you could remove the blades 'just in case'.

The ESC manual will cover how to do the calibration in detail but most follow the general principal I outlined..... Castle Creations being one notable exception.

Yes it can be (and is normally) done with the heli assembled. There is no need to disconnect anything in fact you must leave the motor connected otherwise you won't hear any beeps. If you are nervous you could remove the blades 'just in case'.

The ESC manual will cover how to do the calibration in detail but most follow the general principal I outlined..... Castle Creations being one notable exception.

I appreciate the quick replies, thanks. I have a feeling its going to fly/feel completely different after this is done

Top Bottom