General T-Rex 450 Stripping my front Torque tube gear ???

yardner

A little help/advise please. Very new beginner here, my first heli. just starting to do some hovering around and also practicing on my Phoenix Sim.
but i keep stripping out my front torque tube gear 4 or 5 of them now. I really think that its me, i'm new and i get paniced and i come down hard on the throutle and as you know the TRex comes down hard also. Oh yes, i've broke 2 landing skids also so you know i'm coming in to hard. but am i right? is this the reason i'm stripping out the front torque tube gears? or is it a set up problem?

now i'm running it with a set of Trex 500 landing skids on it. my guy at the hobby shop suggested this. But i was out this morning and stripped out another gear.

TRex 450 Pro V2 / (tx) Spec. DX6I

would appreciat any help/advice

Thanks,
Yardner / Dallas, TX.

heli-maniac

its the hard landing and hitting the tail is why it strips

do you have a good set of training gear on it they do help alittle

Last edited:

yardner

yeah, thats what i thought. been looking at some help vids and i'm going to check my pitch curves. maybe i need to take some of the - neg. pitch out at low stick.
and yes, thanks, i do have good training gear. just wanted to make sure it wasn't a set up problem.

Thanks,
Yardner - Dallas, TX.

Tony

Staff member
The only thing you can do on the setup is make sure your tail block is in the frame securely and you have very little play between the two umbrella gears. But when you land hard, it will flex the tail down and cause the mesh to open up and strip it out. Also, hard landings could also be making the tail blades hit something, this will also strip the gears.

Try not to panic and chop the throttle. Steady is the key. TT tails are not the best for beginners (as I have found out personally) since the belt will take more abuse. But, just keep practicing on the sim and try ot get the heli on there to mimic your 450 pro to help you out.

BOKI

Hi yardener; I can't say I only flew once & crashed so you seem to be getting back up in the air & trying! Just have to relax & do small stick movements I know! I have a Trex 450 also! Wish you the best in your flying!

stokke

In training you should not have more than -1° or -2° at low stick. This will give a slow and steady decent.

murankar

Staff member
The negative pitch at low stick also will keep the heli planted during spool up when it is windy. Big plus for most pilots. It will also help you get the heli out of the air when its windy. There are also other things going on when flying called translational lift. This will do to things; cause the heli to gain or loose altitude without input from you.

With that said you will need to work on collective management while in the Sim. I am still working on this aspect of flying myself. It very unpredictable as a beginner.

Good luck.

Last edited:

yardner

yes, thanks everyone. collective management? now thats a new term....
but yes, i will not give up.

thanks again,

Yardner - Dallas, TX.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I didnt help her.. but hope to fly with you sometime Yardner ! :)

You, Uri and I should meet and fly.. he lives south too

murankar

Staff member
I am at the point where your at. I barely move around in three of the first 4 orientations. I have yet to go nose in. My goal us to get into nose in by mid January weather permitting.

I do a lot of hovering which to me is flying, only because the its in the air. It will come with practice. Marius is proof of that.

BOKI

Hi murankar; I haven't done anything since my rebuild! You sound like your doing the right thing just getting use to controlling the helicopter & that's what I need to do also! Oh I had a couple set up things I was going to try & send you & then I thought I better not! A Club member friend is an older guy & he knows everything on helicopters! At our meeting I told him some of your problems! He sent me a couple E_Mails to give you but I never sent them! Any way good to talk to you again! I just need to relax & control the helicopter with slight corrections! Cold & starting to spit snow & windy! Talk to you later !:twothumbsup: Just need to slow down I think & relax & you will stop breaking gears! :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom