Quad Syma X1 Binding

phil

I just got a Syma X1 and may have not done the binding properly when I first started it. When I try to fly it now it immediately veers to the right and does not seem to respond to the controls other than the throttle. Will it re-bind every time I start it? If not, is there a reset on the control board?

Stambo

Make sure you put it down on a level surface very quickly after plugging in the battery.
Process should be,
1.Turn on the transmitter.
2.Plug in the quad battery.
3.Put the quad down quickly on a flat and level surface.
4.Wait for the light sequence on the quad to complete and the light to go solid.
5.Fly it.

Good luck.

Tony

Staff member
I think on the Syma, you MUST plug the quad in first, then turn the Tx on. It's completely reversed from what we teach on here, but won't work any other way. Matt can verify this since he has one.

phil

Thanks to everybody who took the time to reply. I tried again (and again ...) binding on a level surface but every time I start the X1 it veers sharply to the right. I tried the "fine tuning" several times but still goes to the right no matter what I do. The props look good and I can see no other damage. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions before I send it back. From what I've read on line and youtube videos it doesn't look like this is normal.

Stambo

How about a video of a flight attempt and some close up pics of the bird.
If a pictures paints a thousand words a video paints ten thousand. :)

phil

OK, here is a link to a short, very short video. This is what happens every time. A few times I was able to roll it to the left enough to keep it from crashing but had to keep the right stick all the way to the left and back about 70% to keep it from flying forward and to the right. Is this a normal condition?

Quad veers right - YouTube

There is a second equally short video if you look below the video and next to my name where it shows "3 videos". The other one if a video of my dog.

Stambo

This is definitely not normal, you should be able to take off and hover with throttle only.
It looks like it tries to fly but it's gyro is way off.
I think if it were props or motor direction it would just tip over, however as Tony said, make sure the props are on the right place and turning the right way.
With a close up picture we can confirm the props and tell you which way each should turn.
Or a closer video, no lift off just from dead stand still slowly to about 40% throttle.

Although from your video I think you might end up sending it back.

Last edited:

phil

Thanks for your reply. I did send it back, I wanted to be sure I sent it back before the return period ended. I had looked at some youtube videos for other quads and say several where the copter hovered with almost no input, so I figured something was wrong.
Any suggestions for a decent quadcopter under $100 for a beginner to learn on? Should I shop for a 6-axis vs a 4-axis?

Top Bottom