450 Swash Setup / Levling Question on 450L

ilikeplanes

Hi, referring to the attached image, I am struggling to understand the best way to level the swash.

Attached image I have the 3GX in direct mode at 50% throttle (centered)

I understand that I need to make the servo arm 90 degrees but you can see it's to low. Problem is if I turn the servo connector up one notch it is then pointing above 90 degrees, it wont sit exactly because the ratchet on the servo is either slightly above or below. Any advice? It is the same on the other servo on the other side. You can also see the swash leveler in the pic, and I think if the servos where at 90 degrees it would almost be level.

Second question, I have hovered this a couple of times for a very short period, can you see the wearing on the top of the Main Drive Gear? Is that normal on the first use? The gear looks lined up properly with the drive nut.

Thanks

2014-01-23 20.01.30.jpg

2014-01-23 20.01.30.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I do hope you were flying with that servo arm screw in place lol.

This is where you will use subtrims. YES! you can use subtrims on your Tx with the 3GX. You MUST do this. And it's imperative that you have your servo arms 90º to the links for a properly setup head.

As for that main gear, you have something rubbing somewhere. You need to find that issue and resolve it. Immediately. That is something that can take the helicopter out of the air, and is robbing you of power.

pvolcko

Just a guess: You may have the motor pressed too tightly to the main gear. If you can, get a better pic or even a video of the gear mesh between the main gear and the motor. If you hold the motor still and wiggle the main gear there should be a slight amount of play there. Based on the wear, I'm guessing you have none. This will lead to premature bearing wear and failure on the motor and the main shaft bearings. It will also heat up the main gear and potentially result in it melting and stripping out in flight.

ilikeplanes

Tony, thanks for that I have now got all my servo arms at 90 degrees.

I have attached 2 images of each blade as you can see there is about half a degree of play in the swash head, is that normal? The 2 readings for each blade are after I gently twist the blade up then down.

Second question is, if that blade angle is above zero, how can you reduce that when the linkage road is already screwed all the way in? Or should those 2 linkage arms only be screwed half way in as the default?2014-01-24 10.57.42.jpg2014-01-24 10.58.19.jpg

Thanks for the great help.

Paul, I think you are right that the main gear and the motor are too tight on each other (attached pic.) If that's the case whats the easiest way to create that gap, is it by unscrewing the motor and trying to seat it further back with in the existing mount?

2014-01-24 11.17.34.jpg

2014-01-24 10.57.42.jpg

2014-01-24 10.58.19.jpg

2014-01-24 11.17.34.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The DFC links should be screwed all the way in. and yes, by flexing the blades with yoru hand, you are going to have a difference in pitch. One thing though, you should be checking your pitch with the blades ONLY facing out the front of the helicopter. You must also calibrate your gauge across the top of the frame, or right there on the top of the motor. Do not try to check pitch on any other part of the helicopter such as to the sides or rear. the readings will be off. But you must calibrate the gauge every time you use it.

As for gear mesh, here is a video on how to do it.

How To Set Proper Gear Mesh - YouTube

ilikeplanes

Ok thank, I am making progress. Gear mesh is now good.

Measured the blade pitch correctly this time and its -0.5 and +0.5 on each blade. How to compensate for this? I guess I can extend the linkage rod to fix the -0.5 but how to adjust the blade that is +0.5 as that rod is already fully screed in. Get what I mean?

Tony

Staff member
So what you are saying is, one blade is .5 positive, and the other blade is .5 negative at teh same stick position? If so, yes, you can adjust one of the linkage rods on teh DFC arms to try and take this out. Remember, you have to go a full turn at a time.

Top Bottom