450 Swash Settings?

Rob Lancaster

Ok folks, now that all the problems with the tail bobbing, tracking and gyro have been solved, it's time to go the airfield and try some rolls and loops... I flew again today and she's cherry!

Here's the question of the day.
I have my pitch set at +80. That gives me about 11 to 12 degrees of + and - pitch.
What should my elevator and aileron be set at for if I'm going to be doing rolls and loops??

HK450Gt clone...…….. Spektrum DX8...……………………..
See you on the flight line!

Tony

Staff member
That is going to be user preference. There is no way we can tell you what the value will be, but here is how to check it.

Set the helicopter on a table and have the nose facing straight at you. Make sure the blades are running parallel to the tail boom, meaning you have a blade pointing right at your face. Calibrate your pitch gauge (if needed) and put it on the blade facing you. At mid stick, it should read 0º pitch, and you need to be at mid stick and it must be at 0º pitch. Now, push your aileron fully to one side or another and check the pitch. I find somewhere between 8º and 10º of cyclic pitch to be almost perfect in most cases. The AR7200BX wants 6º and the Ikon wants 10º just as an example.

Now that you know where your cyclic pitch is for aileron and have adjusted it where you want it, set your elevator numbers in your Tx to the exact same numbers. So if you are at 78 on aileron, then you need to set 78 on the elevator. In most cases, they will be exactly the same.

Go out and fly, if it is not flipping fast enough (or rolling) then raise the number a few points and do it for both. Aileron and elevator should always be the same in most cases. If you are getting a faster aileron roll than elevator flip, then you can start playing with the numbers but for now, keep them the same.

Geena

Staff member
Like Tony said, collective and cyclic pitch are pilot preference. But 8-10 degrees should be fine for rolls and loops. I like a fast, agile, and snappy feel. So I run my collective pitch at 14 degrees +/- , with about 12 degrees of cyclic pitch.

Rob Lancaster

Ok, I know where you're going with this.
I'm starting to remember this procedure now...
After this I also want to check a see what the CCPM interactions are. There has to be some I'm sure.
Thanks chief...

Rob Lancaster

Like Tony said, collective and cyclic pitch are pilot preference. But 8-10 degrees should be fine for rolls and loops. I like a fast, agile, and snappy feel. So I run my collective pitch at 14 degrees +/- , with about 12 degrees of cyclic pitch.

Sounds good!
Thanks Geena...…..

Top Bottom