450 Swash Resistance/Friction?

Bruno

I was working on the head assembly and noticed some resistance with movement.
I separated the swash from the assembly and realized that the swash has some general and consistent minimal resistance when rotating the swash on the ball.
I sprayed it with brake cleaner without a change in movement.
I examined it under magnification and did not notice any defects.

I have never taken the time to examine the swash so I am not sure if this "resistance" is typical or if there should simply be near zero resistance as is the case with virtually every other moving part on this heli.

I am fairly certain there should be zero resistance. However, I am a bit confused since I am not sure why or how the swash may have developed resistance.

I have had a few crashes with the heli but the swash was never directly effected. Definitely bent the main shaft though.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Are you talking about the ball that is in the center of the ball and slides over the main shaft? I so, that is supposed to have friction, just a little, but still. That is there to keep the swash centered on the main shaft. It spins with the main shaft. A little friction is fine. but binding is not. As long as there is no play in that piece, you will be fine.

pvolcko

The swash ball on my Align 700 and Blade 550 are pretty smooth. There is a little bit of static friction, but it moves smoothly once going. On my new one the swash has much more static friction and there is more resistance while in motion. I expect it will wear in after a few flights.

RC MAN

Take off the head, links, everything but the part your testing, run it up to speed, and look for any tightness, move your cyc. up and down, if its sticking anywhere, you will see it.
FIX IT, its your life and any one around you. When these things go crazy, it can change your life, you have no control over it, and start with the swash plate, and work up, on piece at a time.

Safety is everything in our hobby man.

Take care

Frank

RC MAN

Any luck with your swash? I just checked 3 of mine on my 450s, they move very light, I put a mainshaft in, half way, and moved it about 5mm offset, and the swash ball moved with the shaft, no noticeable gritty or stiffness, If it sticks, your servos have a hard time controlling your cyc. input.
Just my .02 euro cents. on the matter.

Bruno

Any luck with your swash? I just checked 3 of mine on my 450s, they move very light, I put a mainshaft in, half way, and moved it about 5mm offset, and the swash ball moved with the shaft, no noticeable gritty or stiffness, If it sticks, your servos have a hard time controlling your cyc. input.
Just my .02 euro cents. on the matter.

After I cleaned off the oil I had used, which I think acquired some residual material, it was way more smooth. Considering the amount of the ball that is exposed to the elements, coating that ball in oil just acts as a magnet to debris.

Bruno

Is it possible to replace the swash "ball", how?

Evidently, I did not solve my "sticky ball" issue.

Took her out..did a flip and she wanted to do a nose dive. I was able to land her safely. Checked the swash ball..."sticky".

Not sure what's up. I am thinking because I oiled the ball with Epic light weight bearing oil that some junk got in there and is refusing to be washed out even with break cleaner.

Otherwise, gonna just buy a new swash.

Rather be flying.....

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Nope, there is no way to replace the ball. The only way is to purchase a whole new swash.

Stambo

After I cleaned off the oil I had used, which I think acquired some residual material, it was way more smooth. Considering the amount of the ball that is exposed to the elements, coating that ball in oil just acts as a magnet to debris.

Don't know about anyone else but I use silicon spray on mine and have never had a problem.
Not that I fly them so much now that I am hooked on quads.

You could possibly try removing it totally so you can put the hole in the ball down inside where it sits and clean it that way.
Access to a good supply of compressed air and an air gun would also probably help.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Some swashes are easier to take apart than others. It is generally possible. The ball should be captured by some self-lubricating plastic pieces sitting inside the main swash bearing. If you're going to have to replace it otherwise, doesn't hurt to try taking it apart and seeing if you can manage to get it cleaned and put back together.

Top Bottom