450 Sudden Power Loss On New Trex 450l

Rob Nuss

This concerns anew,never crashed Amain Trex 450 super combo. ESC is RCE BL45P. Batteries Venom 2200. Transmitter Spectrum DX6i. Flew fine for 4 flights then I realized I had full collective to maintain weak hover. Batter ystill at 80%, changed to full battery but still required full throttle to maintain weak. Pitch and power curves set per Trex manual and confirmed with digital pitch gauge. Transmitter monitor indicates full throttle movement. Would it help to reset Beastx or does this sound like a REC or motor problem. Hope these are enough clues for you detectives. Thanks in advance.... Rob

LoveRC

I have a same issue with Blade 450X flybarless and 500 3D. Everything are fine. Lipo voltage are good. Each Lipo cell are 3.20v @ pre-flight check and its a 30C rated Lipo. Using a Both helis are in 2 minutes in flight and hovering mode when suddenly just drop for no reasons. I suspected both have a power block out or loss. Power loss possible due to one of the cell may have drop below the limit voltage. So what I've done on my 5003D, I installed separate Lipo to powered my Rx/Controller and started adding a satellite Rx on all of my helis. My 500 3D servos used lots of power. Second theory is signal issue with high band like DJi fpv. The day that both heli crashed I noticed 2-4 of my fellow flyers using their DJi digital fpv. It happened again on a different day. Two Parkzone FW-190 both lost / signal control and just drop from the sky for no reasons. We noticed 3 DJi fpv fleyers using their Dji digital fpv while we are in the air. We implemented no DJi power up while fixed wing and heli are on the air. So far no down aircraft ever since.

Smoggie

Did you calibrate the ESC to your Tx throttle range? If not it’s likely that your ESC isn’t recognising full throttle
so giving you much less power than expected.
The procedure forESC calibration should be in the ESC manual.

the usual steps are:
  • Take blades off
  • Set linear 0% to 100% throttle curve
  • Put throttle stick ‘wide open’ Tx turned on
  • Plug heli battery in, wait for beeps that indicate full throttle is recognised
  • Immediately Fully close throttle on Tx
  • Wait for normal arming beeps
Best to read manual so you know exactly what beeps to listen for

Rob Nuss

Smoggle
I think we're on the right track. Seems to have solved the problem. I'm just flying around the parking lot. Seems enough power for that, but looking at some of the 3D videos I can't believe that motor has that capability. Any suggestions what a 100% rpm should be and do you measure rpm thanks for your accurate, concise response....Rob

Smoggie

Rob, the 450L should have plenty of power. Measuring rpm isn’t easy on a heli, you can get optical tachometers but they aren’t cheap. You can get rpm sent by telemetry to your Tx but that needs the right hardware.

the 450L was made in two versions for 6s and 3S power. The 6s version has a lower kV motor (about 1800kV) . If you use a 3S battery with the 6s motor then RPM will be very low

Rob Nuss

That's exactly what has happened . My other Trex used the 3S. A closer look at the specs on the new one indicates the 6S is required. A long conversation with A main never mentioned this. Off to the store tomorrow. Will report back. Thanks again.

Smoggie

Problem solved... Needed 22 V battery. Thanks

That will certainly make a big difference! Traditionally 450 class helis all used 3S packs but the new generation of 'stretched 450' (360-380mm blade size ) almost all use 6S. Some people aren't aware of the change so still recommend the old school 3S 2200mAh packs.

Top Bottom