450 Stripped hex screw!

Lambar

I am following your great videos to build my new T-Rex 450. Ran into a problem as I used the long screw that holds the tail boom brace to the landing gear in the wrong position. Problem is that the screw is stripped and I can't get it out. What should I do?

Tks.

Tony

Staff member
I will answer this here even though I answered it in the email you sent. Please, only post questions here on the forum. It helps out other members that are having the same issue in the future.

The easiest way to do this is to use a dremel to cut a slot in the head of the screw, then use a flat bladed screw driver to turn the bolt out. If that doesn't work, you will have to drill out the head, remove the skids, then use something like vice grips to grab the threads and twist the threads out.

A good set of allen drivers is a must with screws this small. I have the Align drivers Part # HOT00002. They work great for me.

Lambar

Thank you. I am also using the Align set. Everything was going well until this particular screw gave up on me. I will try to follow your suggestions to find a way out of this problem.

Tks.

Westy

LEGEND
Yep ... the align tools are awesome :) I have not wrecked mine yet and they have a lot of work.

Tony

Staff member
Good deal on the align drivers, they are worth every penny. Hope you can remove it without too much trouble.

Westy

LEGEND
you are right on the mark there.

I remember snapping my first so called super hard Hex tool.... cracking open a tight Trex 500 frame screw ... I will never forget it as it put my whole project on hold until I got to the LHS and got the real deal

Tony

Staff member
Another idea just hit me that I should have thought of earlier. Take your soldering iron and put it on the block where you screwed the stripped screw into. After a few minutes of heating it (yeah, a few minutes, NOT seconds), take the allen driver and stick it in the bolt. Now, angle the driver in teh bolt so it's not going straight in (hoping to grab something) and start turning with downward force in hopes that it will back out. Much more simple than the dremel idea and won't damage your skids thus leaving a weak spot that will crack on a hard landing.

danhampson

Ive remove stripped allen bolts by heating up the bolt with a soldering iron tinning the bolt and tinning an old allen key. Heating them both up together, joining with some solder, let it cool then turn bolt to remove.
Both the alllen key and the bolt have to be tinned or else it doesnt work the solder breaks because you get a cold solder joint.

john2012

Banned
or you can do what I did and order the stainless steel screw set from align or horizon hobby and I di use my dermal tool and flat tip

Westy

LEGEND
for the battery to charge? For the rain to stop? .... for the sun to come up.....

come on ... VID vid Vid Vid !!!!!! haha

john2012

Banned
I would say to buy the align stainless screws for all align helis the set is about 30.00 dollars and to take out stripped screws I used my dermal with a cutting disk on it

Top Bottom