Projects "Stretched" heli question

Derek

How does someone make a "stretched" 500 or even the 800? Is that just a longer tail boom, belt, and blades?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I think so Derrick. I was looking at a 700 align nitro pro a few weeks ago. Just got out bid on it in the last 2 seconds darned!! Lol it had a 800 tail on it with longer main blades. That might be what your asking about.

Derek

What kind of characteristics are changed, if any, by stretching a heli? For example...my Trex 500...if I put Trex 600 belt, boom, and blades....would my 500 act similar to a 600?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yep.

You'll need to upgrade the power plant and servos as the blades are much bigger too. Not just talk but blades change too.. That's why:

500-600 is not recommended..

550-600 is
600-700 is..

Just that 500 to 600 is a BIG size jump! And the electronics are not a match from 500-600

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Last edited:

Derek

That's kinda cool that these changes can be made. I actually saw a guy that converted his 700 to an 800. JUST MASSIVE and the sound was MEGA-SUPER-AWESOME!!!!

I don't intend on stretching my 500. I still need to learn to fly it "confidently." I was just curious on what it took to make the conversion.

I really want a 600 sized heli. So many choices to look at.

That JR Vibe, that stokke built, really looks great!!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Jr helis rock. The only problem is that they are a bit more expensive than many other brands .. Parts availability is there but limited options. I own a jr too and DONOT regret it a bit

Of really interested look into synergy birds!! Amazing amazing build quality. Really beefy still light.

My friend just built the n5c nitro (600 size more like between 600-700) and the synergy electric (550 size) :)

Love the quality :)

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
The stretch on my Protos when I can afford it will take me to 350mm. I will need to upgrade the motor to an 1800kv 6S capability. The ESC will need to upgraded to a 6S system also.

Now the question is will my servos be enough to handle the 350mm blades. If not they will need upgraded also and the only servos I would choose for this task are the KDS DS95's. I know these will work since I saw a stretched Protos mini built with them.

Now the original stretch kit came with S.A.B. blades and now they are M.S.H. branded blades. MSH likes to rebrand high quality products, so I believe they are still S.A.B.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Servos will be fine. I could do a stretch on my 450 pro too. But servos won't need changing . My power plant will need to go up to scorpion motor and castle esc and all. But Servos are fine. I have very recently looked into it. Even ds410 or 415 are great for that. Mks will do GREAT!

murankar

Staff member
well the stretch is not for some time yet. I still need to learn how to fly proficiently before taking on that kind of cost. If I do not need the servos then that will save me an easy $225.

Derek

a savings of $225 is a massive savings!!!

I just think it's pretty cool that some mods can be made and some parts upgraded to make the heli bigger.

I really do have a good time with my 500 as i'm still learning to hover and fly circuits with CONFIDENCE. Everytime, and I do mean EVERYTIME, I get my 500 above 15-20, my heart jumps to my throat and my hands and arms start to shake. I can just poke around for a few minutes then I need to set it down, throttle hold, gather myself then fly again.

Tony

Staff member
Come down to Oklahoma and I will let you get ahold of the RCH Heli when it's in the air hehe.

Derek

It would be awesome to come to OK to see you and the heli!!! I'm sure that would be an exciting visit, for sure.

Top Bottom