Flight Controllers STM32 Bootloader doesn't come up on Zadig options

glassshot

I'm a newbie, trying to build a brushed quad with an F3 Evo flight controller and want to learn how to use Betaflight with it. Trying to follow the directions from several Youtube videos about this process. I think I'm doing most of it right, but I'm stuck because on the options list on Zadig doesn't show "STM32 Bootloader".
Is there a way to get the Bootloader on the devices list on Zadig. Or a way to bypass this and still end up where I need to be with Betaflight.

Thanks. I hope I'm asking a question that can be understood.

Tony

Staff member
The first thing, make sure you have booted the board in bootloader mode by jumping the boot pins. If this is not done, it will not show the STM Bootloader in Zadig.

Second thing, make sure you have clicked options > Show All Devices in order to see the STM Bootloader.

Let me know if this helps.

glassshot

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I've jumped the boot pins and clicked on > Show (List) All Devices. I've just checked again. Same results.

Tony

Staff member
I have to ask, so don't take offense. You are jumping the boot pins, then powering the FC and leaving it powered the whole time?

If so, you may have one of those boards like I had on a 110 quad where it would absolutely NOT go into DFU mode, but if you went ahead and flashed it, it would work. But again, no DFU mode, no STM Bootloader, but just try to update the firmware.

glassshot

Tony, I don't know enough to be offended :).
Yes, the FC is powered the whole time because its attached to the computer.
So, you are saying, go right to Betaflight and try and flash it? Should I leave the boot pins jumped during this attempt?

Tony

Staff member
Yes, leave the boot pins jumped and open up the firmware flasher in betaflight. Select your board and version, I had mine set to flash on power as well as 256000 and clean install. You can try different parameters but I would start with those. You will need to update your settings, and if this is a board like mine, you will have to plug a flight pack into it because the stop motor will not be on and on mine, the motors want to spin under USB power. Let me know how it goes.

glassshot

The problem with having no experience is, you don't know anything :).
I tried to follow your directions, but there are some "boxes to check" and I don't know if I should check them.
"No Reboot Sequence", "Full chip erase", "Flash on connect", etc. I'm not sure what to do.

I'm trying to get the "Connect" button to connect, but it won't.

I've punched all the "buttons" mentioned above, but after 1/2 dozen tries, all that comes up is "No response from bootloader". Maybe I should try a different FC.

Tony

Staff member
I wish I had a FC in here that I could connect to my computer, but they are all out in the studio.

I believe I checked no reboot sequence, full chip erase and flash on connect. Then I set my baud rate to 256000. With the bootloader pins jumped, and your board and firmware version already selected, plug in the FC and it should automatically flash.

If that doesn't work, you may have a bad board. Or the drivers may not be installed correctly.

When you first fire up cleanflight or betaflight, there are links to some drivers. Have you installed those?

glassshot

There is a section on the opening page on Beta about downloading different drivers. The CP210x and STM USB VCP drivers. Should I download them?

Tony

Staff member
Yes. On the VCP I believe, do it by email, it is slightly faster. I think it was the VCP anyway.

glassshot

Tony,
I've downloaded both files along with Zadig and opened them up to install them on my computer. But I don't get STM32 Bootloader in the Zadig options.

Top Bottom