450 STD Flight Set Up Help

CAMSS

I set up my swash for STD flight. I had the throttle all the way to the bottom when I set up the sub trims. The problem is that the blade pitch is way off as it's range is 0 to ~24 degrees. Swash collective pitch can't compensate to get it down to 0 - 9 degrees.

Does the swash set up always need the throttle at mid stick? I'm just starting out and don't want any negative pitch for now.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you need to always set a linear pitch curve (0 25 50 75 100) and always set up 0º pitch at mid stick. This way you have equal travel positive and negative. It's all about geometry on these things, and if you can get everything perfectly centered, not only will it setup easier, but it should fly better as well.

Smoggie

yes, as Tony said, set up zero pitch at mid stick with a 0,25,50,75,100 linear pitch curve. Once set up you can adjust the pitch curve in the Tx to give the characteristics you want but for setup keep it simple.

Even when starting out you would generally want a pitch curve that gives you some negative pitch, at least 4 degrees I'd say. This gives you more control of the heli against ballooning in gusts etc and is necessary for autorotation.

Bear in mind that your throttle curve (if you use throttle curves) needs to match your pitch curve. It's important to have the throttle curve near 'flat' in the part of the stick travel that you will be using when flying, this is so the rotor maintains near constant RPM at all times which is important on a collective pitch heli. Best option in my view is use a governor so that the ESC keeps the RPM constant and you don't have to worry about curves, this makes everything much easier.

CAMSS

The little light bulb finally went off with the relationship between mechanical set up and pitch curve. Again I appreciate all of the help!

yes, as Tony said, set up zero pitch at mid stick with a 0,25,50,75,100 linear pitch curve. Once set up you can adjust the pitch curve in the Tx to give the characteristics you want but for setup keep it simple.

Even when starting out you would generally want a pitch curve that gives you some negative pitch, at least 4 degrees I'd say. This gives you more control of the heli against ballooning in gusts etc and is necessary for autorotation.

Bear in mind that your throttle curve (if you use throttle curves) needs to match your pitch curve. It's important to have the throttle curve near 'flat' in the part of the stick travel that you will be using when flying, this is so the rotor maintains near constant RPM at all times which is important on a collective pitch heli. Best option in my view is use a governor so that the ESC keeps the RPM constant and you don't have to worry about curves, this makes everything much easier.
I was told that for scale or semi scale heli, it was beter to fly without governor for whatever reason??
Thanks for helping.

Tony

Staff member
If you have the choice, always fly with a governor. If you are talking about scale here, every single full scale helicopter out there uses a governor from a hobby helicopter to check on a farm to the AH64 Apache, all use some kind of governor.

Top Bottom