Prop Started the Build of My Airfield 182 last Night

sarconastic

I figured I had abused HElis long enough, it was time to tear up some airplanes again. So I started the build of My Airfield 182 55" kit that I picked up 6 months ago. Got a couple Questions the OH SO informative instructions do not cover. The two piece wings, have a carbon fiber spar that connect them., but do I need to glue the 2 separate wings sections together on the ends? They screw on at the back and are captive on the front edge. They are a pain to put on when not glued together so am sort of wondering the best course of action.

I now understand why people hate the front wheel assy. it is garbage. I replaced the crappy set screw with a bolt I could tighten enough to hold the wheel. I am also going to scrap the Wheel pants, at least the way they have it done. One was stripped out from the git go. Just putting wheels on with spacers and nuts.

I also was wondering about the motor mount. It seems to have LOT of right angle for the motor. not there right now maybe I can post pics later. To the point where one side of the nose cone hub almost touches the cowling. Should I shim the right side back out a bit? I am sure I will have a few more questions soon.

Thanks

Woody

EyeStation

Hey there Woody, I don't think you want to glue the wings to the spar. It is nice to be able to remove the wings for traveling. Even if you choose to leave the wings on full time, I would still not glue it. There may be repairs down the way and you would hate yourself for gluing it in them. The retaining screws should hold the wings in place, even on a rough landing.

As for the motor sitting at an angle, that is to compensate for the torque the motor has when spinning. Not having that angle will cause your plane to head off course.

Good luck with the build.

sarconastic

I meant gluing the wing halves together in the middle to each other to dreate one solid wing, not to the fuselage. I am going to try it without doing and see how it goes. Worst case I do it later if need be.

I understand what the angle is for, just haven't seen on that was so dramatic as this one. Bigger plane, more angle?

Getting her ready to maiden this weekend, weather permitting. Got all the electronics in last night. Finish programming the DX6i Tonight. Still got some custom graphics to apply, the stock ones blow to say the least. Gonna get the vinyl cutter running this weekend too. Anyway here she is. Wheel pants still on, that will change soon.

20140724_224917.jpg

20140724_224917.jpg

Top Bottom