500 Start up time

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I have the HW 120a ESC and I had it set to default which is 15s which I thought it was fast so I've changed my to 21s. I'm curious what other have their start up time set at? or is that preference too?

Tony

Staff member
I believe all my HW ESC's are set to default. Really it's just personal preference on what you like to see, what surface you are spooling up on, and how you want it to look/sound when it is spooling up. Default has worked for me, however I do not have any large electric helicopters either...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Tony. I have all my HW ESC set to default. I just changed it this time to try. I'll try it and If I don't like it then back to default it is :).

Tony

Staff member
Don't try it in the living room. The wife definitely was not happy back in the day when I spooled up my 600 in the living room (electric, not nitro. the nitro would have killed me with the way they give me headaches lol).

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nah. I stopped spooling up in the house too. I have enough problems charging in the house lol. I have a two car carport that I can do my spooling in :0.

Smoggie

I find default a bit slow, I usually reduce it slightly. Maybe I'm impatient but in my experience 10s is still plenty smooth enough even in a large heli.

Blade 400

Don't try it in the living room. The wife definitely was not happy back in the day when I spooled up my 600 in the living room (electric, not nitro. the nitro would have killed me with the way they give me headaches lol).
After a minor repair and given all the bad weather we`ve had here in Wales UK recently, I did spool one of my 400`s up in the living room recently, but it was just light on the skids to check the tail was setup properly :bellyroll: Sorry to hear about your charging issue`s D.O.G. You`ve encouraged me to take Lipo safety more seriously :thumbsup:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I find default a bit slow, I usually reduce it slightly. Maybe I'm impatient but in my experience 10s is still plenty smooth enough even in a large heli.
Thanks for your input Smoggie. I just put it back to default. I do have a silly question to asked everyone, if on the HW esc for flight mode, they have Elf governor for default but some say,"You-tube" to switch it to store governor mode. Why switch to store mode instead of default mode "Elf governor"?

Geena

Staff member
had you spooled up a nitro inside the house.... it would not have been the fumes that killed you, I assure you. :lmao:

Geena

Staff member
I have the HW 120a ESC and I had it set to default which is 15s which I thought it was fast so I've changed my to 21s. I'm curious what other have their start up time set at? or is that preference too?
I have my start up time set to 25 seconds. It gives the gyros time to get with the program, especially when taking off from asphalt or concrete. It also gives me a chance to stop it, if I do something stupid, like not engage TH and bump the throttle.

Tony

Staff member
had you spooled up a nitro inside the house.... it would not have been the fumes that killed you, I assure you. :lmao:
Truth! lol

We will not talk about the time the wife came home to two motorcycles in the living room...

Smoggie

Why switch to store mode instead of default mode "Elf governor"?
The advantage of 'Store' is that it calibrates on first spoolup and stores the setting. This means that you get exactly the same RPM on ever flight. ELF on the other hand calibrated on every spoolup and can result is a slightly different RPM every time.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you Smoggie. I don't know how but somewhere down the line went from HW question to spooling up lmao.

Top Bottom